8.1 Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
Youll fine a 6.0 swap way more practical. The 8.1 is a gutless wonder and a thirsty pig. It lacks the off the line push the 6.0 and 5.3 have. At 1/2 the gas milage. Plus there really isnt a lot of aftermarket for the 8.1

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Youll fine a 6.0 swap way more practical. The 8.1 is a gutless wonder and a thirsty pig. It lacks the off the line push the 6.0 and 5.3 have. At 1/2 the gas milage. Plus there really isnt a lot of aftermarket for the 8.1

Disagree - not gutless at all. You might have been experiencing lots of torque management in whichever 8.1-equipped truck you were driving. They'll pull down a damn house. Even in a fully loaded 24' U-Haul truck they're scary strong.

Agree - thirsty!

Agree - no real aftermarket to speak of.

Richard

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
It has no top end power. Its a low rpm engine. Yes it will pull down a house but so will a 6.5 turbo diesel, though youll never hear someone agree with that due to the highschool band wagon hate for them. Reguardless if Im crusing along at 70 and I put my foot to the floor I want to feel something there.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
It has no top end power. Its a low rpm engine. Yes it will pull down a house but so will a 6.5 turbo diesel, though youll never hear someone agree with that due to the highschool band wagon hate for them. Reguardless if Im crusing along at 70 and I put my foot to the floor I want to feel something there.
I also disagree. You're wrong

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
I also disagree. You're wrong
Just because you disagree doesnt mean soneonw is wrong. Unless you are a liberal, in which case I pitty you. However, my personal opinion is an lq4 6.0 would be a much better swap. Again thats onlymy opinion. Dont like it? Cool storry bro I dont really give a .

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Just because you disagree doesnt mean soneonw is wrong. Unless you are a liberal, in which case I pitty you. However, my personal opinion is an lq4 6.0 would be a much better swap. Again thats onlymy opinion. Dont like it? Cool storry bro I dont really give a .
Lol you're getting way too worked up tough guy. I didn't say you were wrong because I disagree. I said you are wrong because you're wrong.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Put your foot to the floor on an 8.1 and it jumps.
Put your foot to the floor on a 6.5TD and it makes some noise and you hope it doesn't make any new ones.

End of comparison

Richard

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
Never said the 6.5 was a better engine now did I? a ford straight 6 will do it to. Go ahead, swap your 8.1, and when you have no aftermarket options to stop half ton 5.3's from wasting you, dont come crying about it.