700r4 to Sm465 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Swap

Reaction score
First post, I'm new here. Hello!

Anyways, I have a 1992 Silverado 2wd Ext Cab Stepside 350 TBI with a mild built 700r4, 3.73s in the rear. I've had this truck for several years now but the past 2 years or so it has been sitting in my yard collecting dirt and just rotting away in general. I recently sold another one of my trucks in the idea of buying a 2500 to tow with, but any 2500 in my price range had insane miles on it and I'd rather not fool with stuff like that. I'd also rather not let this truck continue to rot.

I picked up a Muncie Sm465 pretty cheap around me, I'm pretty sure it has a short tail shaft since it has a yoke directly in the back of it. I've wanted a manual in this truck since I bought it but I have an idea of turning this truck into a tow pig with a little bit of work since I effectively have nothing into it. I like the idea of the granny first and low reverse for pulling things. I'm not afraid of a project and I'm not scared of fab work, but I can't really find anything about swapping these transmissions and what all is involved. Most of the swaps are 4x4 swaps and my truck isn't 4wd.

I know these transmissions came in these trucks until 1991 so I can't imagine it's very much to install and make it work. My plan was to put a flywheel and clutch kit for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck so it would be a bit beefier. I'd like a cable clutch because I've been through hydro clutches enough with my fords, and leg day doesn't scare me.

So does anyone have any information on a swap like this? Any ideas, tips, or tricks?