700r4 to nv3500 guidance (my first auto to manual)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I acquired a '90 C1500, 5.7L with a bad 700r4. It only has first and reverse. Already adjusted the TV cable and checked the governor just for fun, both were good. Fluid is still a little red with hints of brown, lots of black particles show up when I clean the dipstick with a paper towel. I bought it cheap knowing it had issues and had plans to throw an NV3500 in anyway. Well, I might have finally found one. It is from a '96.

Now, I have been doing all of my own automotive work for several years. I recently removed a transmission from my 03 Taurus to replace the torque converter and that was a huge pain in the ass. Removing and replacing the transmission in this truck looks a million times easier. So here are my questions:

A 1990 700r4 to a 1996 nv3500 - is this essentially plug and play? Do I need to switch any speedometer rings/gears? Is the wiring the same? Can I keep the transmission support/crossmember I am already using? I have heard I can get away with elongating one of the bolt holes to make it work with the nv3500.

Rockauto has a few kits that come with the master and slave cylinder, prefilled and prebled with the line as well. Is there a specific kit that most people think is better?

Which clutch kit should I get? I don't plan on hotrodding it or anything. I am in the process of tuning the truck up (plugs, wires, pcv valve, replacing the egr stuff), cleaning all the engine grounds, oil change, etc etc. It has a true dual exhaust and at some point I'm going to fab an H pipe in somewhere.

Thanks for your input!

You must be registered for see images attach

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly its pretty straight forward install/swap. Might need to check driveshaft length (I haven't done this so im not sure) but from what I've read just slap it in there and your PCM/ECM will need to be re-programmed for the manual.

I'm sure more experienced members will chime in soon.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a 4l60e to nv3500 swap in my k1500 and there was no issue with driveshaft lengths or crossmember fitment. I'm not sure if the case lengths are the same for a 4l60 and a 700r4. I don't know about speed output as mine was 4wd so the vss was in the transfer case.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I'll have to do any sort of PCM or computer tuning. The 700r4 currently in my truck was TV cable controlled and completely mechanical AFAIK.

This trans has the external slave cylinder so I can still buy the master/slave + line combo and be done there. I took off the bearing retainer plate (which is why it is not attached in the picture) to check things out so I'll replace the input seal/bearing, throwout/release bearing, pilot bearing, clutch, pivot ball and fork, output seal etc. I will also probably buy a new flywheel (any suggestions on brand?). Thanks!

Last edited:

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I didn't notice this earlier but half of this bracket or whatever it is is completely gone. Does anyone know what its function is and what I can do to fix it? I feel like I might be boned already lol.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Further research has led me to believe that this is just part of the return/centering mechanism for the shifter and that if I were to install an aftermarket shifter (like a Hurst one) that it has its own built in centering mechanism, rendering this broken part unnecessary. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I will open things up a bit more to fish any broken parts out before final installation.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I haven’t done the swap myself, but I DO have experience with NV3500’s. I have had the 4WD version, but the biggest problem I know of with that transmission is, 1-3 gear synchronizers wear easily. It isn’t a high performance transmission by any means, as I have killed off three of them with my truck. It’s rated for 300ft lbs of torque, so a stock 350 is fine, but if you have plans to get crazy, just get the big brother NV4500, because it’s rated for 450ft lbs of torque.

I learned the hard way with my build, so if I can spare someone the agony, I will.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I have some info for you. I did a 4l60e to a NV3500 swap in a 93.

700R4 is 27 spline output, NV3500/5LM60 is 32. So you need a slip yoke from any TH400/4L80/Manual Trans truck. You will need a 448 conversion u joint to mount the new slip yoke to your driveshaft.

No problems with the crossmember.

For the pedal you will need to drill four holes and the main hole for the master cylinder rod. I removed the wiper cowl and drilled two holes through the pedal bracket and firewall from underneath then dropped bolts through the top wiper cowl.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truck the transmission came out of is long gone and I suspect I won't find anyone willing to part with the 32 spline slip yoke. Would you happen to know how or where I could obtain a new one? And I looked up a Moog 448 u joint and they seem readily available everywhere. Would that work for my project? Thanks for all the info.

Edit: I see a few of them on ebay. Which length would I need?

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
The truck the transmission came out of is long gone and I suspect I won't find anyone willing to part with the 32 spline slip yoke. Would you happen to know how or where I could obtain a new one? And I looked up a Moog 448 u joint and they seem readily available everywhere. Would that work for my project? Thanks for all the info.

Edit: I see a few of them on ebay. Which length would I need?

You'll need the one from a 2wd trans, the 4wd is way too short. Ebay might have them but I got mine at pick n pull for like $10

And yup! Is your shaft steel or aluminum? Mine was aluminum but if yours is steel it might need the 447 joint instead.