700R4 Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2. I would add a photo of a '700 new enough to have the trans case molding seam--the crescent-shaped "upside-down U" casting mark that goes through the upper trans cooler fitting. Cases new enough to have that seam are also new enough to have most of the year-to-year "upgrades" for the troubles that plagued the early models. This crescent seam can be seen in the opening picture of your "700R4 Teardown and Inspection" video, but a better photo would be nice.
FYI here's my original trans after 18 years in my truck - kinda dirty but you can barely see the "upside-down U" there.
You must be registered for see images attach

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI here's my original trans after 18 years in my truck - kinda dirty but you can barely see the "upside-down U" there.
You must be registered for see images attach
Yep, that's an 88+ aux valve body unit. You can install 4L60E spec 3-4 clutch or any of the max pack/power pack stuff available for the 4L60E. The previous designs all had weaknesses, the 88+ had the latest updates so are the best foundational units for anything performance-oriented.

rwelch

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced a 700r4 with a 4l60 non-e if so was there a pigtail adapter or how did you get it to work?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIU as long as it's an '88 or newer (3rd gen?) trans.
They're all technically 4L60s regardless of year...it's nothing more than a designation convention change GM did in the late 80s or 1990...For example, if you were to refer to the TH400, regardless of year (1964-1991) as the 3L80, you'd still be correct.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he can go back as far as '87. If I'm not mistaking '87 was the first year for electric TCC.
Electro-mechanical lock up started with 1982 700R4s...the 82-84 700s had four different pressure switches; some models locked the TC in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear...That changed in 87, when two pressure switches were deleted and then in 88, GM went to just one pressure switch and standardized the valve bodies across all applications with the 2nd design casting.

The main difference between first and 2nd design VBs was the presence of the TCC mechanical control valve train in the 82-87 castings. 88-93 did not have that bore/valve train.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electro-mechanical lock up started with 1982 700R4s...the 82-84 700s had four different pressure switches; some models locked the TC in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear...That changed in 87, when two pressure switches were deleted and then in 88, GM went to just one pressure switch and standardized the valve bodies across all applications with the 2nd design casting.

The main difference between first and 2nd design VBs was the presence of the TCC mechanical control valve train in the 82-87 castings. 88-93 did not have that bore/valve train.
Hey man,
Have you ever thought about writing a book or books on these tranny's?
I'd buy one in half a heartbeat.
Your youtube vids and all the input you've furnished here of this forum are great but having a book to study and have laying on the bench would be a good thing to have when your right in the middle of it.

I'll fess up and mention I bought Cliff Ruggles 700R4 book and it was a real let down.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey man,
Have you ever thought about writing a book or books on these tranny's?
I'd buy one in half a heartbeat.
Your youtube vids and all the input you've furnished here of this forum are great but having a book to study and have laying on the bench would be a good thing to have when your right in the middle of it.

I'll fess up and mention I bought Cliff Ruggles 700R4 book and it was a real let down.
Appreciate the kind words and re the book - not a bad idea (gotta reach deep into the couch cushions to find the time, lol). I haven't read Cliff's book but have both of Ron Sessions' books on the TH350 and 400, those books are essentially the bibles for those respective units.