700R4/4L60 guys click here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i bought my 91 K1500 350/700R4 knowing it had transmission problems. The kid who had it before me tried rebuilding the trans himself. It has P R 1 2 3 no 4th. It just acts like a three speed transmission. No slipping anytime. any advise is welcome

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's another story, he claims it had lock up but I never confirmed it due to when coming to a stop the truck would buck and engine dies. Restarted the engine and put it in gear and truck lurched forward and engine dies again. I unplugged the converter connector at the transmission and it hasn't happened again yet. So actually two problems I would guess.

I've been reading and looks like 3rd and 4th use the same clutch pack, only in 4th it applies the 2-4 band. Maybe something in the 4th apply piston in the 2-4 band or valve body.

Last edited:

91c150001

Reaction score
No O/D at anytime? No matter the speed? In my truck I had replaced the transmission that had supposedly been dyno tested and shifted fine. In the truck it worked flawlessly but wouldn't go into fourth until nearly 80 mph. I swapped the governor on a whim and got fourth. Maybe try that. It's only $20-30.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

brutpwr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the converter was locked all the time until you disconnected the harness. Could be a problem with the brake light circuit/trans harness or could be internal in the valve body would be my guesses. You need to get a good transmission and truck service manuals to better understand how it all works.