7.4L radiator into 5.7L Suburban: what needs to swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that the 7.4L Suburban radiator is the same width, but is 2 inches taller and roughly twice as thick (2 cores vs 1 core) as the 5.7L radiator. I know that those extra two inches of core height are accommodated by different upper radiator mounts and a different upper shroud. My question is:

If I swap to the 7.4L radiator, mounts, and shroud, will the fan on the 5.7L line up with the shroud?

And is it possible to use the 5.7L mounts and shroud and simply modify the insulators (rubber) to fit the taller core? I don't think I can get 2 inches out of those rubber pieces, but if somebody has done it I'm all ears.

Thanks guys!

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
what year did the 7.4 come out of?? I to am doing a similar swap for my LT1 conversion, only I am using a 1982 diesel radiator, a 4 core unit 3.5 inches wide. It is the same dimensions as the stock 5.7 in my 1997 4X4. but down to details, What you will need the off of the 7.4 donor: ;lower rubbers, ;upper mounting brackets with rubbers, ;7.4 radiator shroud, ;the upper radiator hose. and that should be all.

It is pretty near imposable to do it any other way, unless you do as I did go back to the all metal Diesel radiators 34" X 17" and then modify the stock rubbers, as I am doing.

hope this helps?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm buying a new radiator, as the one in the Burb has developed a leak. I figured that I may as well go ahead and upgrade while I'm at it, but just wanted to have everything in my possession before I attempt the swap. It will by out of the same year (97) as my Burb, except the rad will be for a 2500 with a 7.4L. Now I just have to find a 7.4L GMT400 in one of my local scrapyards.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
I understand that, where are you at? A body can never have to much radiator!!!

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in North Louisiana, about 30 miles east of Shreveport. I'll be doing the junkyard crawl this weekend, and will hopefully, HOPEFULLY hit paydirt. I'm planning on swapping motors in the future, probably an LS with a cam. It never gets hot with the radiator it has, but I'm all about overengineering EVERYTHING so it should stay cool no matter what.

Oh, and nice project, by the way. Should be a monster!

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
thanks I hope so It is taking long enough, good luck on yours as well

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Not sure what my radiator is but I know it's 2 row and I need the big block shrouds to cover it. I can upload a pic if it's any help. I also have the 5.7 so it would be the set up you want

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a 454SS radiator in my '96, I didn't need anything but the radiator on mine, my stock shroud, and upper and lower rubber mounts all fit it just fine. it looked like the trans cooler/oil cooler ports were slightly different, but I don't run either one of those so it didn't matter to me.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only radiator that I have seen bigger on the 88-98 is the 6.5 diesel rad, but there may be one bigger in some big block's, but not the ones I have seen.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one I have is for a 454SS, its the same size as the 350 one, but twice as thick