7.4 Vortec Heads on 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Champ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might be a pretty basic question, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if 454 Vortec heads will fit on an older TBI 454 block. I know I'd need to get a vortec intake, and I'd also like to do a carb swap, so could I even get a 7.4 vortec carb intake? I'm not trying to get a massive amount of power out of my motor, I'm just trying to wake it up a bit.

NotARealK2500

This'll be my last GMT400, I swear!
Reaction score
Pretty much all your standard 454s are going to have a 4.250 bore size and 4.0 inch stroke. Shouldn't have any problems with the block there.
Any short deck, big-block intake should bolt right up to the vortec heads as long as they haven't been milled down excessively, so intake is good, too.

The only issue I could see you running into is the non-adjustable valvetrain, but maybe I'm just overthinking it?

Provided that's good, you could look at running a ZZ502 cam while you're in there. That'd more than wake it up. ;)