6.5L turbo diesel, good motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
http://sudbury.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...ilverado-2500-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ397768741

Is the 6.5 litre turbo diesel a good motor? Whats their power they produce? as far as hp, and torque. Is their anything we can do to give it lots of power? Im in to duramax engine and i wanted a 06 duramax, but i love the OBS bodystyle, this truck is mint , clean interior ... so id be selling my 04 for a 2000.... any advice?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
They can be great reliable trucks as long as you do a couple almost mandatory upgrades to them. Mostly a PMD relocation and Oil pressure sensor relay harness. Since it has a newer crate motor in it its more then likely got an Optimizer 6500 which is a crate motor made by Navastar which is a far stronger block then the originals.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
If you think of the 6.5 as a fuel economy alternative instead of being the huge powerhouse that the more modern diesels are, then you won't be disappointed. I had a 6.5 blow a head gasket on me, but they're perfectly fine engines.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
well, i want to go diesel for more power, i want to have a 6-8 inch lift with probably 37 inch tires eventually, i want to pull some crazy power with it too if possible. im just not sure if this truck is worht it?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you're looking for a lot of power the 6.5 isn't the way to go. Back them the 6.2L and 6.5L detroits weren't made to be power houses like the diesel now are meant to be. They were made as a fuel efficient alternative to the gasoline engines. Hell, you could make a lot more power for cheaper and more reliable with a 350.

If you want a massive torque monster that burns oil and has a good aftermarket for the diesel world, throw a 6BT Cummins in it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you're just looking for power, buy a HD truck with a 454 in it.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I really would like to have 2500. And its in between a gmt400, which I love. Or if I can find a nice 06 chevy.. Either way. I'd like it to be deisel, I'd be willing to do an engine swap in a gmt400 I'd also like to have crew cab, so this truck I'd have to do a cab swap too... Hmmm. I don't know what to do!? Opinions guys? Obs or nbs?