6.5 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTwarrior

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a.running 92 6.5, im wanting to swap it into my 99 cclb 3500 which currently has a vortec 350, I know itll bolt right to my 4l80 but how complicated is it going to be to get it wired. can I find a 99 pcm and harness and just call it real? or is there more to it

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Take the money and put it into hopping up the 350 instead, or get a Vortec 454. Will be much more reliable in the long run.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the above. The 6.Xs suck. As far as the swap goes you will need a stand alone transmission controller and POSSIBLY the alternator from a 99 6.5 to make your tach work with a diesel cluster. You will also need to remove the fuel pump from the tank because it has way too much pressure. Install a lift pump instead. Richards suggestion of 506 times is quite low. The displacement is 6217 cubic centimeters, you will need to kick yourself in the nuts 6217 times before you turn a wrench and 6217 times per week for.the rest of your life.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're pretty friggin nutless. My dad had one, and the low end was decent but it petered out pretty bad up top. Modern diesels aren't even in the same universe, they're that much better. I remember my dad's topped out 3rd around 75, so there is no 2nd to downshift into uphill like there is on my gassers and I'm pretty sure my truck is knocking down 400 ft/lb at sea level (and in 3rd it sits just over 3000 RPM which is peak) which is about where the 6.5 peaks below 2000 RPM so just bench racing the thing I could tell it would be a terrible choice for a tow pig.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seem to be one of the few people that has had good luck with 6.5's. I still wouldn't spend the time and money to swap one into a gas truck.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My dad's was faithful too, but really would have sucked loaded to the gills.

WTwarrior

Reaction score
well damn, im really not hunting for big diesel power or id swap in a duramax, I just want the mileage, I go to gallons per mile with a load on the ol 350. are the 6.5's really that big of a joke? for the price of it, it couldnt hurt to get it and have it on the backburner. are there any straightforward diesel swaps I can do? I can live with a gutless turd to be honest, I just want a fairly efficient workhorse, really the only time I drive the truck is when im hauling something

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you priced a stand alone controller for your 4l80? Might change your mind.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk