5lm60 to THt400 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yes, this can be done, but i think its pretty pricey and unnecessary unless you are running torque plates on both ends of your engine.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Yes, this can be done, but i think its pretty pricey and unnecessary unless you are running torque plates on both ends of your engine.

very pricey, but way safer if your spinning alot, those shells are built for drag racing or racing in general and intended to be bullet proof ive seen coverters and flywheels explode with those thing on and it only scuffed the shells.

98_k1500

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

They bolt on the front and rear (between the motor and trans, and on the front of the block) of the engine and are solidly mounted to the frame. Keeps high hp engines from ripping the motor mount off the side of the engine block. The motor mounts bolt into the side of the water jacket on a stock motor. High torque can break out the side of the block and leave the motor mount bolted to a hunk of block.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Ah. Yes I've seen those on drag cars. Well, I've seen them on the front of an engine before. That brings me to another question actually. Anybody ever bolt their adapter plate for the tcase directly to the crossmember without a rubber mount? My 5speed bolted to the tranny mount which bolted to the crossmember and that entire assembly is about the same height to the center of the shaft as just the adapter is on the TH400. I might be able to use my original crossmember if I just bolt the adapter right to the crossmember. Should be stronger anyway right?

98_k1500

Reaction score
NOOO. The rubber motor mounts will flex under extreme torque (low range launch) and the trans will not have any give. It will bust the aluminum transmission housing.

highperf4x4

Original Male
Reaction score
Well crap. Ok I'll see what I can do about lowering the cross member.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
are you gonna solid mount the whole damn truck? i mean if you ran and extreme heavy duty bellhousing and built the whole damn trans to stand up to a solid mount you could do it.