$50 Rustoleum paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Had a buddy paint his truck not with 'Rustoleum', but with 'Tremclad'. Looked good for a while, but after a couple of years, it had turned a butternut yellow. And not very evenly. Kinda splotchy. That stuff ain't U.V stable.
Like GeeDubya said, a major PITA to get off. When buddy wanted to re-paint, it didn't want to go quietly! 60 grit, a D/A sander & 4 days of grinding. Not 'sanding'. Grinding! Had to go right down to bare metal. Poor compressor ran 8 hours a day for 4 days!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Had a buddy paint his truck not with 'Rustoleum', but with 'Tremclad'. Looked good for a while, but after a couple of years, it had turned a butternut yellow. And not very evenly. Kinda splotchy. That stuff ain't U.V stable.
Like GeeDubya said, a major PITA to get off. When buddy wanted to re-paint, it didn't want to go quietly! 60 grit, a D/A sander & 4 days of grinding. Not 'sanding'. Grinding! Had to go right down to bare metal. Poor compressor ran 8 hours a day for 4 days!

Hmmmm, GeeDubYa.

Not sure I like the association that makes.......:rofl:

CHIMPY

Reaction score
I would invest in some masking paper and a few rolls of tape when you do end up painting the rest. I'm a painter by trade so things like overspray or spritzers really bother me lol I've completely masked my truck off about 3 times now and it only took one roll of tape and hardly put a dent in the $3 roll of masking paper. It takes about an hour to do the masking correctly but you'll be much happier when you peel it all off and there's clean lines and no paint on the chrome and accents!

Just a suggestion though, I'm not here to tell anyone what to do and not to do, just what I would suggest doing to give you a better state of mind and be more proud of your hard work!

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if it isn't UV protected than is there something that I can put over it to make it safe?

and btw I did mask EVERYTHING off before I did this, I guess the paint was so thin that it seaped through the tape. I might have to use some high quality tape if I end up doing the whole thing

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
What about a $50 Wagner sprayer? I've seen some awesome paint come from them on vehicles....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So if it isn't UV protected than is there something that I can put over it to make it safe?

and btw I did mask EVERYTHING off before I did this, I guess the paint was so thin that it seaped through the tape. I might have to use some high quality tape if I end up doing the whole thing

Nope, nothing that will allow it to stay the same color or be affordable.

Cheap tape gets cheap results.

If you want a sharp cut line when you pull the tape, you need to use quality stuff like you can buy at an autobody supply store.

Regular masking tape will not come out sharp. Often, the alkyd based paints will also soften/disolve the glue on dept/HS tapes which allows paint bleed through.

Works fine for latex paints on the living room wall, but not for alkyd/oil base...