$50 Rustoleum paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't do it if you ever plan to paint the truck by other means (ie:automotive paints) or you'll be stripping to metal.....if it's a beater: have at 'er!

:)

ok now you've got me a little scared... but then again it is old..hmmm decisions decions

I guess i'm gonna try the tailgate first and see how I like it

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a little update, I did my tailgate today with the flat white. I gotta say I am very impressed at how tough this paint is. However It is very hard to clean up even if you just get on something for a second.

here is the pics. I used a flat white and it took 2 or 3 coats to get it this good, I plan on adding more coats later. I don't plan on wet sanding it, I like the rough texture. Btw I suck at painting and I ended up getting it on the bumper and a few other places
You must be registered for see images attach

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Don't do it if you ever plan to paint the truck by other means (ie:automotive paints) or you'll be stripping to metal.....if it's a beater: have at 'er!

:)

That's why I only did the inside of the bed. Just to make it white and keep it from rusting. I have a drop in bed liner so I'm not worried about having to paint it again. Next time it will be bed liner, so I will have to strip it anyways

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Just a little update, I did my tailgate today with the flat white. I gotta say I am very impressed at how tough this paint is. However It is very hard to clean up even if you just get on something for a second.

here is the pics. I used a flat white and it took 2 or 3 coats to get it this good, I plan on adding more coats later. I don't plan on wet sanding it, I like the rough texture. Btw I suck at painting and I ended up getting it on the bumper and a few other places

What type of roller did you use? My understanding is you get the best result from the micro foam type roller

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I couldn't find a high density foam roller so I got a roller with a kit from lowes that supposed to be used for oil paint and non-textured walls

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's why I only did the inside of the bed. Just to make it white and keep it from rusting. I have a drop in bed liner so I'm not worried about having to paint it again. Next time it will be bed liner, so I will have to strip it anyways

I plan on doing the inside of the bed as well. I'm going to do the top half the truck white, bottom half black, and black in the bed.

so much rust underneath my bed mat :nono:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
The tailgate doesn't look al that bad, a few pieces of dust, but it's a work truck, so it doesn't matter.

I like the 2 tone idea as well

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks good. Especially from a few feet away. It kinda looks like a refrigerator up close (lol), but nothing wrong with that.

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea it is like a fridge texture just a little rougher. some people have already given me crap about it, but I like the way it looks so I don't care

Now if this was a brand new vehicle I wouldn't be doing this. But in my case I have a 17yr old truck, with countless small dings, dents, scratches, paint chipping, rust, and hood that has bad paint chipping....And this is really cheap and easy