5 or 6 speed auto transmission Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes sir! Here we all are scratching our heads and telling OP he's got something weird going on, when it's that the online calculators don't work right. Not a huge surprise but surprising that it was that far off.

Nothing like hitting the road and doing actual measurements via GPS and a trusted tachometer, but without his truck here, gotta rely on other means. And those means failed. :)

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yup. he is right there with me. we got the same size tires and the same gears, so that makes sense :waytogo:

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speaking of a GPS, do you trust the GPS aps? I've tried one on my iPhone in three different vehicles two of witch are bone stock and was always 2 mph off.

98_k1500

Reaction score
It was 2mph slow wasn it? Vehicle speedometers are calibrated a touch fast from the factory. Helps keep you from getting a speeding ticket.

98_k1500

Reaction score
^^^This guy gets it^^^

I'd put money on the gps one being much more accurate.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It was 2mph slow wasn it? Vehicle speedometers are calibrated a touch fast from the factory. Helps keep you from getting a speeding ticket.

Yup! Has something to do with 'Pi'. 22/7. A 'prime' number. (Actually, a prime fraction)
A number that can only be divisible by 1 & itself.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by this^^^

Actually, I made a mistake.
'Pi' is an 'irrational' number.
Being an irrational number, it can't be represented as a common fraction. 22/7 is an approximation.
It's decimal representation never ends & never settles into a permanent repeating pattern.
As of 2011, with the power of a computer, the extended decimal representation of 'Pi' has been taken to 10 trillion non-repeating digits! (10 to the 13th power)
Scientific representations usually only need calculations of 'Pi' to 40 decimals.
'Pi' is also a transcendental number, which means that it is not the solution for any polynomial with rational coefficients.
'Pi' cannot be expressed using any combination of rational numbers &/or square roots.
The study of 'Pi', & it's earliest written approximations (within 1%!) has been found dating back to 1900-1600 B.C in Egypt & Babylon. Also in India from around 600 B.C.
People are still studying it today!

Your algebra/trigonometry lesson for the day! Lol!

The keyword here is 'approximate'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1XFkAZW-rWg

This why GPS is such an improvement over the old method of calculating speed. It uses time & position to calculate speed.
The physical mechanical calculations do not apply.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. There is nothing irrational about pie though. Pie + ice cream is a completely rational equation.