5.7L Cold Air Intakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brningdawn

Reaction score
Oh man yeh, if you've got a flat tappet cam and aren't putting STP ZDDP additive in with your oil, you're going to wipe your lobes!!! (Oil companies hate that one little trick) /s
This is something I've wondered about what the truth is behind it. I bought my 92 in 2001 and started putting mobil 1 full synthetic in it cause that's what I thought was good. Didn't really think much else about it until a couple of years ago when I started researching whether I wanted to rebuild my engine. That was the first I had ever heard of needing special oil for the flat tappet cam. Seeing how mine has run about 150,000 miles without it, I thought maybe it was only relevant during the break in phase or maybe it was BS from the start. At this point I'd go roller if I replaced it but I'm still curious where this all came from and how true it is.

jpcedotal

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I wish there was a **** like this with everything called out on it...that u could touch like an icon and bring up how-to vids

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys seem to be forgetting a real good unrestricted source of cold air. A lot of you are running cowl hoods-at least it appears that way by your pics-and theres a reason that hood was developed. First gen Camaros put them to real good use. And all the (serious) race cars I have seen with cowl hoods had a box that sealed to the hood/cowl and took advantage of that high pressure area at the base of the windshield. To me, that would be the hot ticket-figure out how to use a flat filter in a tray on top of the motor sealed to the cowl hood.
I know this post is extremely old but I'm pondering the same question myself. I have a 4in cowl hood on my 97 for clearance issues with the intake spacer and 80mm big bore throttle body on a built engine with unfortunately OEM style mpi injection set up, would love to obtain a marine intake fuel rail system if I don't get mad and just change intake and run a carburetor because I can't tune the dang thing without paying someone to use their laptop. (Rant over). I can't seem to get a definitive answer,some builders have said it won't work leave it alone, well that's not an answer to me. I want to know exactly why it can't be done and won't work. In other words please explain to me why. Anyway, glad to know someone else thinks like I do, and if and when I find an actual legit answer whether it will or why it won't ill let you know. I know some boys who do engine building and tuning who just got my truck tuned correctly, I'm planning to pay them another visit and ask them, they are old school and computer savvy, especially the 60yr old guy doing the PCM tuning. I'm going to figure it out, lol!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The thing about most cowl hoods is that they are open underneath. You would need to sheet the underside of the hood with aluminum or something thin and light and then cut out an opening above the throttle body. Then it would be fairly easy to bend up a box with a open top (probably with a 1/2"-3/4" flange on the top) and a hole in the bottom that corresponds with the base of the TB. Small holes in the sides for wires and linkage wont affect the air temperature enough to worry about and then just use some foam tape to seal it to the hood. Find an air filter that fits the TB and you should be good to go.