5.3 Engine Swap Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
Long story short, My truck (97 k1500 ECSB 5.7) Has some tranny problems that come and go and have the opportunity to get a new driveline. The donor is a 2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 ( I think it that would be a LS1 but i could be wrong) and i have the entire truck. I have been researching the last couple days and it seems pretty straight forward. I will be swapping the engine, tranny and t-case as a whole unit and it seems the easiest way to pull this off is to run 2 computers. The stock 97 for gauges and fuel and the stock 02 for the power plant. Obviously both systems will need to be tied together at some points to ensure proper operation on both sides. Here's what i have so far.

VSS
Temp sensor for gauge
Oil Pressure for gauge
Volts for gauge
Tach for gauge

Fuel i think will stay entirely with the 97 system from what i can tell but i am not 100%. It also looks like i can use my stock 97 radiator with the 02 hoses and i will probably use the external tranny cooler from the 02 and fab mounts on the core support. I also might use the power steering cooler if possible and i did read the the stock 97 lines will work with the 02 pump with some tweaking. I do not need the flex plate spacer since i am using the 02 tranny as well. It also appears that i can use the 02 y pipe and keep the o2 sensors intact for emissions ( i might be able to just use the 97 o2 sensors and y pipe but i haven't looked that closely at them). Here are my biggest questions

1. Do I still need the conversion motor mounts or can I Use the frame side off the 02 on the 97 for proper placement
2. will I need a tune even though i am not using power adders or deleting emissions
( all write ups i have seen they are doing one or the other if not both and not using the tranny for the newer motor)
3. Do i still need the conversion fuel lines or can i use the ones off the 02
4. Can I tie the signals from the new PCM into the cab plug for gauge operation
5. Is there an easier way to make both systems work together or just convert to one system.

I have read trough Mike's thread a few times now and am somewhat familiar but he was doing a lot of extras so i kinda got lost. Other sources were not too clear on where exactly the 2 systems tie together or even exactly how and for what reason so any info in that aspect will help alot. As always, Thank you for any info or links you can provide.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
First off, that would be a L31. LS1 is a 5.7 aluminum block.

Second, I would do a 411 pcm swap and use it as the sole pcm. Of course for that you would have to have someone tune it.

~Via Mobile

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for the proper Motor identification. I have read that the 411 swap is the way to go but i really see no need for it. More or less i was kinda thinking of freshening up my truck and this drive line fell into my lap for free. If i don't need to sink a bunch of money into this than i don't want to do it. from what i have read even from the factory those engines are pretty much on a stand alone system and only needs a few wires hooked up to make it run and communicate to the rest of the truck, But i have not found anything specific. Mostly just broad spectrum stuff.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The gauges all go through the computer so I'm not sure how you could tie the two together. Maybe someone else can chime in.

The problem I'm seeing is the need for different sensors for the different pcm's.

~Via Mobile

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I have read on other forums that the stock pcm for the 5.3 will run all the gauges in an OBS but i can't find anything saying what wires to hook up at what location.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I'm not sure either, maybe someone else can chime in.

~Via Mobile

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
And a pioneer in the GMT400 world steps in with the home run!