4x6 rears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I take it you're talking about the rear speakers? Guess if a little cutting is required it's not the end of the world. Stock speakers are terrible, tin can like. Anyone ever try 4x6's from GM's equipped with "premium" sound systems and notice any difference?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could always buy longer screws and use washers or nuts as spacers or do what I did below oh I didn’t need spacers the sound is mega difference another thing NVX speakers are underrated the V series sound good check them out on You Tube I’m using Cerwin Vega speakers but I did but some NVX speakers I’m going to put them on one day or put them on the wife’s ride I just bought her.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/rear6x9.html

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I'm working with standard cab trucks, but I still have to deal with the 4x6 speaker probs. I'm not a fan of that speaker size.
I got a woodworking bud to make me up some spacers in 1/2" MDF to mount the 4x6's out & away from the body. Took him about 15 minutes to trace the speakers & then cut them out with his router. Only problem with that is that the grilles can't be used.
...and as good as the speakers are, Pioneer TS-A4676R, (pretty highly rated in various reviews) they are still a 4x6. Not the greatest size for sound reproduction even with 125w's each thrown at them.
Plus, they are an oval speaker. An oval speaker has weird flex characteristics. Speakers should be round!
So, I think I might be swapping them out for a set of Polk Audio plate speakers I picked up on a great deal which have been just sitting in the parts stash.
Or I'll just ditch the whole idea of trying to get decent sound from 4x6's & pick up a good set of 6" components.
For that, this may be the direction I'll take. I've used the same idea with my square body trucks utilizing 6x9's. Pattern it all out with cardboard, then some time on a shear & break to bend up them out of some metal. Lined with deadener & then covered with some closed-cell foam & vinyl.
I'll get wood buddy to make up some spacers with a 1/2"<3" wedge in order to get the speakers to point more in an upward direction so that the sound isn't just being blown into the back of the seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Ovals are weird and not right, yes. But at the end of the day, it's a vehicle. So you'll be combating wind noise, road noise and all other types of NVH unless you're sitting still. Then it'll be all the **** in the car vibrating making noise LoL. I gave up on audiophile grade car audio years ago. But I will agree that 4x6's suck ass, 6x9's or 6.5" roundies would be better. Best bang for your buck used to be JBL Power Series. I am not kidding, try them and you'll never go back if you can find used sets. They and Boston Acoustics made damn fine 4x6 plate speakers too. Consisted of small round woofers and a high quality tweeter, great for upper mid range and treble response. I run a pair of the JBL power series plates in conjunction with JBL Power Series 6x9's in my '89 Fireturd pushed by a factory type radio and am satisfied with it. I run Power Series shizz in my '88 Town Car and love that even more. Has an aftermarket amp with sub (also power series) and that kicks ass.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I agree with a vehicle not being the best environment for sound.
But the sound can be greatly improved.
In my '97, I've installed almost 200 sq.ft. of sound deadener, (4 rolls!) along with another 100 sq.ft of 1/8" closed-cell foam plus 40 sq.ft of 3/8" C/C foam.
Probably 200+lbs added to the truck's weight!
The doors are the source of up to 70% of road noise.
In mine there are five evenly spaced 4" wide vertical strips with a full covering over top.
The strips eliminate the resonance in large flat panels. Always in an odd-numbered count, run cross-wise of the longest length.
Then the full covering over those strips kills the road noise.
There's more strips & a covering on that stupid panel which makes these doors so hard to work on. Then I added strips on the backside of the door panel itself, with a layer of 1/8" C/C over that.
My door pins hate me.
The rear wall has 7 strips & a full covering with the 3/8" C/C over that.
The roof has 5 strips + full coverage + another of 1/8" C/C. Did the A-pillars too.
The floor has been done the same + 2 layers of 1/8" C/C, all under the rubber flooring.

A set of components in the doors + the rear 4x6's are powered by an Alpine 500w 4ch. amp @ 4ohms. Along with a 10" DVC sub + 1000w. Alpine @ 2ohms. Certainly not competition worthy, but it does pretty good at over-powering the road noise.
All that just not for the volume. More for the sound quality.

The addition of the sound deadening is one of the top 3 mods I've done to the truck. The truck feels more solid. More substantial when rolling. All the odd little squeeks & rattles are gone. The cab holds the heat better in the winter. I don't have to run the heater on high for as long to get it warm inside.
I can do 60mph with a Hawg beside me running shotguns, roll up the window & carry-on a normal conversation.
...and the stereo sounds much better, too!
But those poor door pins, though. Lol!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hahaha damn, you went all out. I'd love to experience your truck. Yeah, those poor door pins LoL. We're changing my girlfriend's '92 F150 interior color to red from gray and while we haven't found good carpet, door panels or rear cab trim & carpet I am thinking that when we do, that would be the best time to add all that type of insulation. Like you said, there is definitely room for improvement, I've just gotten lazy over the years. Seems every time I fixed something up to where I wanted it to be, SOLD! The Town Car is there, yet hasn't been sold. Yet I find myself looking at LT1 powered Cadillac Fleetwoods all the time, hmmmmm...

Anyway, how did the sound deadener affect carpet & panel fitment? GM trucks seem super easy to add sound deadener to the doors as the whole assy can be removed rather easily.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea, once all that stuff was removed from the inner doors, the install was actually pretty easy.
I did the truck in stages over a few weekends. This is in my daily & I can't have it down for more than a day.
I did the headliner & back wall on a Sunday afternoon. Didn't even remove the seat.
Next weekend I did the doors.
A couple of weeks later when I was feeling energetic, pulled the seat & the rubber flooring. I left the underlay still attached to that, as factory.
Not much was affected by the deadener.
The rubber flooring in these trucks isn't so much of an exact fit to the contour of the floor pan. There is a some wiggle room in there for the deadener to fit underneath. Aftermarket carpet kits fit much the same way. If I was to make a cut-&-sew set of carpets, the fit would be better than the kits, but the fabrication for that wouldn't happen until all the deadener was already installed, anyway.
Work with cut sizes of the deadener in no larger than 2' long pieces. Too big of a piece and there's a chance of the sticky backing touching itself. Then it's stuck! It ain't coming apart! That backing is tenacious! Throw that piece away.
Once the seats & flooring is removed, blow out the floor & vacuum really well.
Re-install all the bolts for the seats, the belts & console (if equipped) before starting. Not cranked down tight. Just need to be a few threads in. That way, before removing the protective film off of the backing, all the holes for the bolts can be pre-cut in the deadener. Cut those holes about a 1/2" bigger than the bolt head. With all the thickness that's being added, you don't need the hassle of a bolt being just that much too short to get through it all.
Roll the deadener in. Stick one long side & then as you roll it, push it into the shapes of the floor. Dropping it in & then trying to make it conform will cause the silver foil to tear & rip.
Start from the center of the truck & work out to the doors. Overlap each piece by about 1/8".
The deadener must be rolled down. Just pushing it onto the floor & into all the crevices & shapes of the floor pan by hand won't cut it. There can be no air bubbles. ...and once that stuff is rolled down, it ain't ever coming off.
Kinda makes me wonder what will have to be done if these doors ever need to be body-worked! Yikes!
The roller that comes in the kit is poop. I use a small 1.5" wide wooden one that was originally meant for rolling down wallpaper, along with a 3" wide rubber wheeled, long handled 2-handed one that I picked up at the local jobber. I also have a very narrow one for the tight corners that's meant for installing the rubber gasket that holds the screens in screen doors. It has a groove in the circumference (for the screen door gasket) so I filled that with a bit of silicone
Used 2 layers of 1/8" closed-cell because that's is easier to laminate to the floor's contours than a single layer of 1/4".
Keep any deadener away from mounting holes, such as where the plastic pins mount the door panels & the carpet on the rear wall. An inch or so back works.
My '97 has the small headliner, so I had to mark that out (chalk) before I removed it in order to keep the deadener hidden. Again, about an inch back.
Don't cover the bolts that hold on that inner metal panel in the doors.
Don't cover those vents at the bottom of the doors. I did! Oops! Because of that, with the fan in high, I was actually pressurizing the cab! My ears would start to feel all cottony & plugged up until I opened the window. When I did, I could hear the air go 'W-h-o-o-s-h-h-h' out the window & feel the pressure drop inside the truck! My ears 'unplugged' like they would when going through big elevation changes. Weird.
What a pita to get that all cut off of those vents! Doh!

I have pix of all this, but on another computer that's not here right now.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the tips man! I would've went through such a hassle trying to fumble through that for the first time. I've wondered about body work too, especially if rust starts to set in haha. Funny story about the pressurization too haha.