4x6 rears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Finally got around to installin new 4x6s in the back of my ext cab only to find out my new ones are too deep. Anyone's used a spacer? Im gonna measure em soon as im done on the throne to see the difference and if a spacer is feasible. In the process i did manage to break the tab on passenger side holdin the rear roof trim. Go me! Since my nite of playin cowboy the trucks gonna be down so ill be finishin my interior gettin new headliner and that trim piece at the junkyard this weekend. Just happened to find a grey interior ext cab with a perfect headliner yesterday. $20!!! O and that upper trim, do i take the side panels off first? Thanks

Sent from the bottom of a Jack Daniel's bottle.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes
Sides come out then you can pull that bad boy down
If you have that loooong trim remove tool it’ll help you save them keepers that everyone breaks
If you’re lazy you can cut the side pillars out of the way of that top trim

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me tell you it’s easier to put in the 6X9 speakers than to install the 4X6 speakers because of all the work and if you don’t want to make holes put the 6X9s in gray speaker boxes and you can cut the wires going to the 4X6 speakers then tap into them to run wires to the gray boxes the speaker wires run under the drivers door sill easy to cut well good luck on what you decide.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Oh great, so how much depth do we have to work with?

I've got some old but great Boston Acoustic 4x6 plate speakers, rivaled only by the ones JBL offered some 10 years ago... Just found them when I thought I no longer had them so you can imagine how elated I was. Anyway, I haven't put them in yet since I figured depth might be an issue. I know with my '89 Firebird it was so I'm glad I found this thread.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score

I've got some old but great Boston Acoustic 4x6 plate speakers, rivaled only by the ones JBL offered some 10 years ago... Just found them when I thought I no longer had them so you can imagine how elated I was. Anyway, I haven't put them in yet since I figured depth might be an issue. I know with my '89 Firebird it was so I'm glad I found this thread.

I can try gettin u a measurement difference here after bit. Picked up an 00 s10 last nite and the 4x6s don't fit in there either. Probly gonna sell em.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I'm not sure if the ext cabs are the same as the reg cabs, but I had to cut the mounting hole bigger on my reg cab to fit a plate 4x6. The basket on the driver wouldn't fit through the hole.