4L60E MOD advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
I know there have been sveral threads on this subject but I would like to get a one stop shop method

Here is the deal; installed an LT1 in the '97 K1500, and promptly took out 2nd gear, I have purchased a '99 60E w/ transfercase from behind a 5.3, 40K on the clock when the rig was twisted up. oil and cases are 40k clean. Is $900 a good price for a clean 40k setup??

I would like to have ideas of how to make this live behind an LT1, and a BAD!!!! case of lead footitus?? I want to do this before I install the trans in the truck. but I am not pulling the front pump!!!

please help me with doing mods that will work together.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
I think 9 bills is on the high side for sure.
Upgraded clutches & a good torque converter for starters.

How you like that LT1? It's my second choice over the LSx.

°Truckin°

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
Why not touch the front pump the trans is out its easy to get to at that point go ahead and have the front pump redone

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
LT1 = 60e killer.......who woulda thought? LOL :evillol:

If ya want your trans to last, tighten her up really good, laggy shifts=bad for tranny(the only reason for a long shift is for comfort in driving)....if ya want it to last, build you one up, or get an 80 series.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$900 isn't bad at all. I have paid that much for a used transfer case. I for sure would put the update in the transfer case to keep the pump from digging into the case. The transmission you can spend what you want. Can't do much without pulling the pump though. It's kinda like saying you wanna put in a LS1 in you truck, but you don't want to pop your hood. Sounds like your not scared of spending money on your ride, why not put a little in the drive train to make it live. If nothing else, slap a beast sunshell, 3/4 frictions and a band. Would be less than a $100.00.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
$900 isn't bad at all. I have paid that much for a used transfer case. I for sure would put the update in the transfer case to keep the pump from digging into the case. The transmission you can spend what you want. Can't do much without pulling the pump though. It's kinda like saying you wanna put in a LS1 in you truck, but you don't want to pop your hood. Sounds like your not scared of spending money on your ride, why not put a little in the drive train to make it live. If nothing else, slap a beast sunshell, 3/4 frictions and a band. Would be less than a $100.00.

A $100? hum!! that might be dooable, I just aint gonna spend a grand on a running trans, I already have two that are in distress, if I wanted to do a complete rebuild. which I will do if needed, I have been inside several of these brutes. not afrade of them just don't want to take the time right now. I have 5 horses to train this spring, since I was recovering from back sergery last spring. lol!

and no I don't mind spending money on the ol truck, I just do not want to spend it twice. the long term plan is to get the mechanical where I want it then get a '56 - '59 pickup body, extend the cab and mount it on my chassies. I extended a 1953 Willys pick up, took 17 months, and he would not let me ditch the '53 chassies. which he paid for later so he could run 70mph on the highway. this one has a 4.3 TBI - 7ooR4- ps - pb - Air - tilt - electric wipers... we threw anything we could find at it. LOL!!! see it here, http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinbender59/3133143291, yep, I did it and I can do it again!!

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get a better 3/4 clutch pack, a new band, a beast shell, superior/fairbanks servos, TransGo HD2 kit, rebuild the pump, and a higher stall (Corvette, perhaps) converter and roll... At least that's what I plan to do, when I get the cash up to rebuild mine! Should work like a charm behind that LT1 :).

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are a lot you can do, a lot of "shoulda's", but the shell, 3/4 clutches and band can be done in less than an hour and at least it will have a chance.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
You can buy a low mile 5.3L WITH transmission and wiring harness for $900. No way in hell would I or anyone pay that much for a transmission alone unless the first digit is a T. In proper working order 4L60Es go for less than $300 used. Hit up Craigslist.

My best advice is rebuild what you have with a few upgraded parts. Buy that hardware yourself and have someone install it.

Now on a related note, you can't directly swap a transmission from a GenIII engine onto a GenI or GenII block without tearing it down and at least replacing the input shaft. Here's why: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...ility-in-years&p=175723&viewfull=1#post175723