454SS fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Year make and model of the donor vehicle. Vin & RPO's would help immensely.

Don't have a clue. All I know is that the donor was a '95-'99 SUV. I've had the switch for a l-o-n-g time.
Since my '98 is DOA till next spring, I'm working on my '97. That's why the delay getting back to this.
I just need to know what wire colors do what.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
So, it only took me 2 weeks to get around to this, but here's some pix of what I'm messing with.
I located the switch where I did, because the vehicle that I got the switch out of was a 4X4, & the lower position is occupied by the switches required for those trucks. I put it in the same position as the truck that it came out of. Didn't realize there were alternate places for it.
The internal bracket that mounts all 3 switches was a stealership purchase. Cheap.
I have no idea what wires are for what. Functionally electronically illiterate.
Any ideas? Clues? Suggestions? Smart-ass comments?

You must be registered for see images attach

So.....because it was an SUV AND a 4x4 it has the fog light located where the cargo light sits for our trucks? So you took the housing with the fog switch and put it above your cargo light, right? This is what I'm getting from your detailed description. I want to do this exact mod on my truck, so I can put headlights in my bumper. I am wire illiterate as well.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
There are two types of fog switches, the horizontal and the vertical one.

One came in the "luxury" Suvs, so Escalade, Denali, z71 and limited tahoes. It sat in the vertical stack, in the lowest of the 3 openings. The Exc luxury (regular stuff) used the horizontal fog lights switch, where the 4wd switch typically is. There are different pigtails for each (both in pinout and in size/shape) however each has the same wire colors and connections.

Exc. luxury (horizontal)

Luxury (vertical stack)

Factory wiring diagram for later generation GMT400s

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you! 5 stars! We are in the presence of a scholarly gentleman of the highest order!
THIS /\ I can do.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Dude i have those little Monster Import stickers all over my dash too! haha!
Too funny. Wondered if anyone would notice.
Yea, I used to have a bunch, but for a long time I wasn't drinking coffee, so I was drinking a 'few' of those a week. They usually ended up stacked up on top of each other. Back on the java, though. Straight up espresso with a bit of sugar. Bzzzzt!!!

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Thanks to all! I need to head to the junkyard and find me a vertical switch. Diagram was also helpful, although it will be helpful only for the person helping me! :rotflmao: