454 slow start help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 98 with the 7.4l and it takes a while for it to fire up. I realize it's a big motor but what can I do to improve starting? After about 5 seconds of cranking it over it fires up good. ALSO I filled my tank yesterday, got home and let it idle while I ran inside to get my dog. After idling for about 5 minutes it would make a popping notice, I look under and every pop shot some flames out of the gasket the connects my headers to my down pipe! Only does his while idling. I tried to show my fiend and get his opinion but she stopped doing it! Weird!

Thanks for reading guys

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
the slow start is probably your injectors. they have a problem with leaking down and causing slow starts on the vortec 454s

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It does sound like fuel pressure bleeding down somewhere. Try turning the key to on for a few seconds, but don't start it, turn the ignition off, wait a sec and then try to start it. The double shot of fuel might help diagnose the problem

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Another vote for probable injectors leaking down after shut off causing hard starts.

The backfiring at idle....not sure on that one.....possibly injector related.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just did the injector's and FPR in my 00 CC dually with a 454, what a difference it made, I went with the Lucas injectors from 5.0 motorsports.

Reaction score
So I tried turning my key on and off a few times and then started it. What a difference! So that means injectors right?