411 Swap 383 Vortec Newbie To Tuning. Where To Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a lot of searching and reading before posting. It seems all situations are different obviously. Did the 411 swap on my 383, so now my truck has the brains of a 02 Chevy Express Van. VATS disabled, some minor things already flashed when I got it. EGR turned off, bank 1 sensor 2 and 3 turned off, alt codes turned off. I corrected the cyl volume to 0.78451. EGR is still on the engine for now, pink wire on the connector is ran to the 411 as per Lextech spread sheet. Truck runs and drives excellent. Way smoother than the old black box. No misfires. Only issue is when you start it. It fires right up, then starts to stumble for a few seconds. Sometimes shutting off and having to re start. If I give it some throttle and let it run for about 8 seconds at 1000 rpm, then let off it will idle all day around 600. I did raise the idle on the tune to that from 550. Trans seems to shift fairly early. 1-2 will shift very soon, and the 2-3 shift is kind of soft, not firm like it used to be. So with all that being said, where do I start? I am reading and trying to understand the tuning lingo. Just clueless on where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated. Vehicle specs are in my sig. Thanks all!

SJ

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Post your tune and a datalog.

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post your tune and a datalog.
Hi. Yes I will. How long of a drive should I do? Sorry, like I said, new to EFI tuning. I have to make a quick run to the store, be about a 5-10 min drive.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just of the starting issue.
Can go ahead ans post your tune tho

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1st you need to copy the VE table from an untouched L31 file, then paste it back in after changing the displacement. The VE table will be reduced by the same percentage you increase the cylinder volume.

From there, you need to setup the Base Running Airflow. I setup a histogram to do this.

Once the BRAF is setup correctly, you may need to adjust the other startup airflow values.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
if you look on the reply section to post you will see at
You must be registered for see images attach
tach file(s) click that and find the file on your computer and click the open and it should work

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you look on the reply section to post you will see at
You must be registered for see images attach
tach file(s) click that and find the file on your computer and click the open and it should work
Already tried that first. This forum will not support the .hpt file. I was trying to find a way to convert it.

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st you need to copy the VE table from an untouched L31 file, then paste it back in after changing the displacement. The VE table will be reduced by the same percentage you increase the cylinder volume.

From there, you need to setup the Base Running Airflow. I setup a histogram to do this.

Once the BRAF is setup correctly, you may need to adjust the other startup airflow values.
Are you talking about Primary VE ECM 12350

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I made some changed and did the following one change at a time.
Pasted an untouched L31 VE Table, truck did not run very good this way.
So I put it back to the way it was when I changed the cyl volume to 383, when the program changes it for you. Truck ran good again.
Basically in small increments, doubled the BRAF to get the truck to start without throttle input. RPM was hanging a little.
Backed some idle spark advance off from 400 to 1200 rpm. Truck seems to like it so far.

There is still so much that needs messed with, but it is now running better than ever. Still trying to learn.