4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It sound like you got it together, let us know how it goes, or if you need something.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
has anyone done this with w/t head lights?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If you are wanting brighter lights, then using relays is the way to go. The OE supply wiring to the headlights is way to small. By adding relays, and a bigger wire straight off of the battery, (about 10 gauge wire ) this makes a huge difference in how bright the lights are. Just cut the OE wiring to the headlights next to the battery, and use this as your switch wire to engage the new relay, so that the heaver gauge wire rite off the battery now supplys the headlights. I cant stress enough how big of a difference this will make.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Spode,

Did you get the harness wired? If so, how did you attach to the existing harness?

Thanks!

Spode

Reaction score
Hi Spode,

Did you get the harness wired? If so, how did you attach to the existing harness?

Thanks!
Yep, HUGE difference. I cut the 9005 and 9006 plugs off on one side and used the positive feed from each to trigger the two relays.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are wanting brighter lights, then using relays is the way to go. The OE supply wiring to the headlights is way to small. By adding relays, and a bigger wire straight off of the battery, (about 10 gauge wire ) this makes a huge difference in how bright the lights are. Just cut the OE wiring to the headlights next to the battery, and use this as your switch wire to engage the new relay, so that the heaver gauge wire rite off the battery now supplys the headlights. I cant stress enough how big of a difference this will make.

So just to make sure I’m clear about it. You only have to cut the passenger wires to the the lights. Using them as the switch run the wires up to the relays. Then from the relay back out to the headlights? So you still have to cut and splice into the drivers side wires.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I made all of my connections next to the battery. Its been about 2+ years sense I did this mod, but I did remove my grill, and I did the 4 high mod first, the once I saw how bright my lights were on high, I added a second relay to supply the low beams all of the time. The supply for the drivers side is also next to the battery, I think. Like I said, its been 2 years +. You can kind of see in these pics what I did. I did not have to cut or make any connections on the drivers side. There are a bunch of videos on you tube on this mod. Just spend a little time watching a few, and it should be clear, as to what it takes to do this mod. If you have any questions though, feel free to ask. Oh and one more thing, If you add a relay to your low beams, you will need to disable your DRLs. I just pulled the fuse for mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

gmachinz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or if you dont feel comfortable getting into it-this is a plug n play kit I use and build.

If you build your own, be sure to use sealed relays, underhood rated wire and fuse your supply feed.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I obviously built my kit my self, but there are a lot of places to buy a kit that will have everything you need to do this mod. I think LMC offers one. If you Google it, you should be able to find some .

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I knew LMC made one just didn’t feel like driving out to their warehouse. I got it figured out and what a difference. Which you did answer a question I had but didn’t mention. Could you do this along with the 4hi mod. I’ll get around to doing it sometime.