4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did mine maybe 1 year ago, and it is the best thing I did to the headlights. They are sooooo much brighter. After I did the 4 light mod., I put another relay on the dims alone.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm going to do the quicky version of this until I get my hd harness done. I've been driving a lot at night and I've had to nail the brakes twice in the last week because of deer jumping into the road. And I've passed probably 75 deer in the last week. Wish it was legal to just hop out and drop them. They're friggin dangerous(and delicious). And it seems like they're overpopulated. I've never seen as many as I have this year.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It gives the lights the full 12 volts they where designed to have... basically use the stock wiring to activate the relay to give then full power... there's a thread here somewhere on headlight harness upgrade.....

sent from what use to be a great nation...

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you add a relay, you use a large wire, coming directly off of the battery. I used about a 10 gauge wire on mine. This will carry more amps. The longer the wire is , the less amps it can carry. When you cut into the factory wire, to add your relay, you will see just how small this wire is. That is why the headlights are dim. If you just do the 4 headlight on mod, you don't need to cut any wires, but if you add another relay to make your dim lights brighter, then you will need to cut the factory supply wire to the headlights, and use it to switch the relay on with. You will need to do this on the supply side coming from the cab, and your relay to switch the 4 headlight mod will be on the side that the headlights are on, not the side that goes back to the cab. Here are a few videos on how to add a relay to your headlights, and how a relay works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0ikK5IQa0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6fNkYSVXQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La63i5owruo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFihB8aZXiE

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the mod and i have to say that it is the best thing ive done for my lights by far. Thanks for the writeup!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I scanned through this and couldn't find this info, so sorry if this has already been answered and I just missed it. I recently installed HIDs in my 98 k1500 and I want to do this mod due to the slow warm up time switching between highs and lows. But also my DRLs don't work. And there's also the concern of flickering or false start when switching from low to high due the quick "off and on" situation for the lows. So I was thinking I could solve all these problems by simply wiring the relay for the lows to something that is always on when the truck is on (for example, the fuel pump). I thought in older models there were auxiliary posts in the fuse box that were connected to the ignition in that way but both of my aux posts are hot even when the truck is off. I know there's lots of stuff under the dash I could splice into but I'd like to avoid going through the firewall.

So really this sums up to me asking if anyone knows of any wiring under the hood that is easily accessible and is high constantly whenever the truck is on?

Thanks.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never mind don't worry about it, I started looking around with a circuit tester and ended up finding a wire coming through on the drivers side that didn't go anywhere, it just had an unattached connector on the end of it. tested it and it is always on with the ignition bu turns off with the ignition as well. No idea what it's for haha. Now my lows are always on.

You must be registered for see images attach

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I think I will do this soon when I'm bored. Ill just cut the wires, solder and heat shrink them. I absolutely hate butt connectors and those vampire clamps or whatever you call them.