4.3l V6 towing Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ a dealership and free... never seen those 2 words in the same sentence before

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea, no kidding! I was amazed, dazed & confused when the parts guy said, "Here you go. Have a nice day." First time I drove out of a dealership & my butt didn't hurt!

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get the trany cooler if you plan on towing that trailer any distance over 10 mi. and like the post abovve stopping all that weight is the weak point, you def. need to make sure the brakes are working properly-

sleddyeddy

Reaction score
i had a 95 sonoma zr2 unsure of the gearing but i pulled a double axle car hauler with my current truck on it a 1990 gmc 1500 and a kawi 700 in the box of the sonoma and it tugged no problem it was a 5 spd also i just released the lutch till it grabbed the slowly gave it thorttle till the clutch pedal was all the way up then off i went pulled that for a while take offs were slow im sure some people behind me were a little pissed. and braking you had to plan for it. didnt stop very quick

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, you can do it....but if the truck is a short wheel base, ya might find it getting unstable on rough sections of highway(those annoying/fun dips and raised sections). The more worn your rear leafs are, the more wobbly you'll feel if it starts "pushing" you down the road. If you engine brake, don't let your engine/tranny do all the work, use your brakes with it, else you'll pop that tranny. Get your rpms to about 2500-3000 before your clutch is fully engaged, that's a good take-off rpm for your engine considering the stock gears are 3.08-3.42 and your engine is healthy. Depending on the tranny, you can save your clutch by rpm-matching while driving, I wouldn't do it until you find out what synchros you have though, some are safe to do it with, others aren't. If I think of anything else, I'll edit this post. Good Luck and be safe, always watch out for people pulling in front of you and don't feel bad if a traffic light on a highway turns red and you blow thru it soon afterwards. It's better you blow thru at a freshly turned red light than jackknife or slide thru it. Take Care man!

chevy9395

Reaction score
I have a 93 rclb with a 4.3 auto 3:42 gears i picked it up cheap as a farm truck (as my family owns a farm) when we were trimming fence rows back this past spring i had a 18' landscape trailer hooked behind it for 2 weeks straight hauling a couple loads a day, stacked front to back about 4 foot high on the trailer, anywhere from 3-10 miles back to the farm handled it like a champ didn't bother to much, you could for tell it was back there but smart driving makes a huge difference oh and i hauled hay and on occasion a 317 john deere skid steer the deere website said 6300 lbs ship weight on that i don't think i have ever hit more than 50 with that ,but that is pushing it for being a half ton even by farmer standards!