3in lower springs cut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much am I susposed to cut off stock springs to give me a 3in drop for the front?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well if you have an SBC then I would say cut off 1 and a half coil's, that should get you right in the ball park that you want to be.

97Bowtie1106

it's not a lowrider!!!
Reaction score
Honestly bro, just spend the cash on some 3" coils. I've rode in trucks with 2" cut springs and it's nasty rough. I had to cringe at every bad spot on the road. You'd be much happier.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
What he said.^^^. Not as bad as riding in a truck with heated & sagged springs, but still BAD. The money you save cutting the springs would best be invested in a kidney belt!

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes if you can afford it then buy drop coil's, but it you are going to cut coil's then there are method's of doing it that don't ruin the spring, whenever I cut a coil I use a band saw, if you are going to use a torch to cut it then submerge the coil in a bucket of water and only leave the coil you are cuttin off sticking out of the water, that way when you cut the coil off the spring doesn't loose it's tensile strength due to heat from the torch, I have ridden in many truck's that have one coil or so removed that ride very good, but if you heat the spring and let it collapse some then they ride like total crap.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes if you can afford it then buy drop coil's, but it you are going to cut coil's then there are method's of doing it that don't ruin the spring, whenever I cut a coil I use a band saw, if you are going to use a torch to cut it then submerge the coil in a bucket of water and only leave the coil you are cuttin off sticking out of the water, that way when you cut the coil off the spring doesn't loose it's tensile strength due to heat from the torch, I have ridden in many truck's that have one coil or so removed that ride very good, but if you heat the spring and let it collapse some then they ride like total crap.

X2, we cut a full coil off my buddies 98 regular cab, ride quality felt the same as before we cut it. We used a 4 1/2" cut-off wheel.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Could be the trucks that I have rode in with cut springs were not done right, which is why they rode so bad.

Pierced

Allen AKA BargainJoe
Reaction score
You can pick up a set of new 3" drop springs on ebay for like 120 shipped. Thats the route I went instead of cutting then traded off the springs when I bagged my front. You will be able to get something out of drop spings unlike cut stockers.