350 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my high school graduation is coming up and my dad is gonna buy me a stock 350 from a junk yard as a platform to build from. My plans for the motor are to keep it tbi for reliabilty reasons but upgrade the tbi if needed, stock displacement, vortec heads, headers, intake, true duals and a cam. Im torn on what direction to go with the cam. Suggestions are needed. I'm hoping for right around 300hp give or take. I want a lot of get up and go off the line. Feel free to point me in any direction and give some ideas on what to do. Will anything need to be done to my computer or fuel system to run the tbi? Whats some of the better cams for this setup? and should i run the vortec heads? This is a budget build. Thanks for the help guys
Truck:
93 chevy 1500
4x4
4l60e
currently V6

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
email guy at tbichips.com he can tell you best way to go for what you want to do with the truck and can also get you a custom tune chip specificly for your truck

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i think im going with a 383 stroker kit. The guy at tbi chips said it would be nice in a 4x4 and have close to 400lbs of torque before 4,000 rpms. Now i just need to find a motor. Ive been searching local junkyards but they want 500 bucks for one and thats just a plain block with an intake and heads. I cant see spending that much on somthing thats getting torn down anyway.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Comp XE268H is a good cam, an TBI can run it.

I agree, that's a really nice cam for the tbi, you'll really like that setup....if you decide to go the 383 route, and wanna budget build it, I'd build it off the 400 small block. I'm currently working out some kinks in my budget 427, both mental deficiency kinks, and some possible tranny ideas.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
If your thinking of having the block machined... try your local craigslist... i've seen here locally, 350 blocks in good shape, going for 100 bucks or so... usually a short block for 150-200... if your going 383, you don't need heads and you'd be surprised what you can get out of the edelbrock TBI manifolds... their gnarly!

Ed.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I agree, that's a really nice cam for the tbi, you'll really like that setup....if you decide to go the 383 route, and wanna budget build it, I'd build it off the 400 small block. I'm currently working out some kinks in my budget 427, both mental deficiency kinks, and some possible tranny ideas.
A 383 is a 350 with a 400 crank, if you started with a 400 block, you wouldn't have a 383, if you used a 350 crank in 400 block, its a 377.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you had a big enough bank account summit has pre made 383 blocks, meaning all the machine work is done, they are setup for roller cams as well, around $600 and then they have enginge kits with cranks for around $700 and up, then you can add whatever top end you want, and yes they have top end kits too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777