350-383

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has mentioned that an OEM 400 crank will not fit in a 1 piece rear main seal block. The OP stated he just wanted to put a 400 crank in...All GMT400s came from the factory with a 1 piece rear main seal block. All 400 sbc motors are 2 piece rear main seal. The crankshaft will not interchange between the two.

That said, you can run an aftermarket crank and do a little clearancing to make the longer stroke work. I would strongly suggest talking to a machine shop first. More than likely they have done a 383 sbc before and will know exactly what they need to do.

There are plenty of stroker kits available, and this is probably the best 'budget-wise" to create a 383 in a TBI or Vortec block. Actually your best bet is a Vortec block since it has the provisions for a roller cam already. The Vortec heads are also great heads for a budget 383 build. The weak link will be the TBI or the Vortec based EFI. A carb or aftermarket EFI would be best to take advantage of the extra cubic inches. However with a mild cam and stock EFI setup, I would think it should make alot of torque.

Also keep in mind Vortec heads need the valvespring pads machined if going to an aftermarket cam. You cannot put aftermarket valvesprings on a stock Vortec head without some machine work.

EDIT - I see the OP has a Vortec already (I assume the 1998 truck). If upgrading to e 383 ci under the Vortec Injection/Ignition, you will most certainly need a proper tune when done. Figure on $300-$500 for a proper dyno tune or you could try some of the mail order tunes. I personally would rather put my vehicle on a dyno than rely on a mail order tune.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I have HP Tuners on my truck with a 411 pcm, I'm not worried about tuning. Just looking for something to kick the CI up a little bit

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im doing this now. Buy a scat or eagle 383 crank for 5.7 rods of you want to use stock rods and go to summit and by pistons for the size rods you are using and 3.75 stroke. Then take all that including the block to the machine shop to be bored, clearanced and balanced. Then get bearings and the short block should be done.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
The motor has maybe 15k on it from GM... Just looking to do things to give it more pep. Not looking to rebuild the whole damn thing. lol Maybe i should wait a while lol

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The motor has maybe 15k on it from GM... Just looking to do things to give it more pep. Not looking to rebuild the whole damn thing. lol Maybe i should wait a while lol

If you're going to go with a 383 then you're gonna have to rebuild the whole damned thing :)

I was looking at building a 383 to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 375 to 400 HP, but decided against the extra machine work, parts and labor. I'm just going to build a beefy 350 and might even come out money ahead in the end when comparing the overall cost per HP gains.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if you know people you can easily and cheaply build a 383 well not super cheap but cheaper. if a long long 383 will cost you 1500 or something like that from summit go for it and do your other supporting mods to it swap your heads etc etc. you eliminate alot of machinework labor plus half of its already built for you.