350/383 or LS1???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i dunno how different prices are in your area but i could go to the junkyard and get a fan for way cheaper, motor mounts i dont think would be all that unless hes adding poly bucshings. the transdapt mount plate is like 40 bucks on ebay. round here you can get a 5.3 with high miles for 300 bucks and one with low low miles for about 600 so that may be a good price

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i dunno how different prices are in your area but i could go to the junkyard and get a fan for way cheaper, motor mounts i dont think would be all that unless hes adding poly bucshings. the transdapt mount plate is like 40 bucks on ebay. round here you can get a 5.3 with high miles for 300 bucks and one with low low miles for about 600 so that may be a good price

also why is there a wiring hanress and a stand alone? im not understanding that

idnworks

Reaction score
LS1 vs HT383

Hey, Guys...

long time lurker here, first time poster.

I'm in the same boat as others here on this thread somewhat. I've got a '98 K1500 4x4 with a 5 speed on 35's that I just added a new OX locker, 4.56 gears, and Centerforce dual friction 1 clutch, TO, and pressure plate last week to. Unfortunately, also last week, the day before I was to run it in for all that, I over-reved on an on ramp and the 5.0 is now toast. (I've already been kicking myself for a week and contemplating foreign legion service.)

Needless to say, it's now engine time. I've been looking at crate engines and am leaning toward the HT383E even though it's expensive. The torque numbers at low RPM are better than the LS1 327 HO, but of course, I save a pile by going with the LS1 (like $1300).

Been reading all I can, but what are your thoughts on the swap LS1 vs. HT383? Would the LS1 even be possible with my 5 speed manual and transfer case that I currently have in the truck? Most of what I saw said that the LS1s were equipped only with automatics, so I'm wondering if that will create problems gracting one in. I guess the computer/harness issues can be solved, but I'm wondering about whether I'll be able to marry it up with my 5 speed tranny okay and whether my current driveline will handle the power/torque increase. (actually, I'm concerned about that on the HT even more with it's 400 ft/lbs and 347 hp.)

Funding wise, I can do either-- but am wondering whether the fuel efficiency and more modern engine design gains will offset the hassle involved with the swap to LS1 vs. the 383HT which is supposed to be more "plug and play."

If I go with the HT, am I going to need to beef up the driveline? Will my factory 5 speed with the Centerforce dual and the new G2 4.56s handle it?

I'd appreciate any insights you guys have. Feel free to email me too if it doesn't break any forum rules: [email protected]

Thanks guys!

I'll post a picture when I can...

Shawn Clever

corydukart

Reaction score
is anyone familiar with the 383 emissions legal chev performance crate motor part#17800393? what about the 383 motor part #12499101 anyone go back to a carb? I just blew engine in my 98

Reaction score
I build my own version of the HT383E with a scat balanced kit -24cc dish piston , its $2k cheaper to DIY , P/N cam 14097395 , runs on pump gas will start up without tuning. definitely needs tuning . the torque management limits the output otherwise. runs low on power at 4k rpm fuel starved I think . otherwise it just pulls . I would recommend trans other than 4l60 series , the later multiport injection minimum .