33's whats next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
pretty much what im lookin to get is a fastER a to b truck. while i love the off road look of these k5s i dont wanna beat her into the mud just put enough money into body restoration anyways. and its strickly summer ride kept in storage now since the restoration. i would just like to be able to dust a few rice burnin wiggers once in a while ya know? eventualy gettin a black bear tune but all the lil things first. would like to be in the neighborhood of 300hp if posible

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
This is just my opinion but I like to work backwards when putting horsepower to a vehicle, most people start with the motor and work towards the rear end but if you start with the rear and work towards the front you won't break as many parts. With that said, first thing I would do is find a 14 bolt SF, they are a six lug axle found out of heavy half ton GMT400s but be sure to a 4x4 axle so everything will line up, they usually go for $200-400.

Then I'd beef up the tranny, shift kit, vette servo, higher stall torque converter, or just get a built 4L60e from one of the well which takes most the worry out of grenading the stock 60e.

The easiest most economic way to put 300hp to these trucks is either drop in a Gen III motor whether 5.3L or 6.0L, there are a lot of build threads and many knowledgeable people between here, GMFS and LS1tech to help make the swap go easier.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3.73 gears and the 4l60 will be fine with 33's are you doin a body lift? my girlfriends 99 silverado has the 4.8 vortec 3.73's and 33's with the 4l60 and it has plenty of speed goes nice around town or on the hiway just an old guys opinion

Reaction score
thanks for the idea butch but im not lookin to do a swab with a nbs truck or any truck. my 5.7 will last a long time and i think with the tune after the mods i might not hit 300hp but ill be happy with it. with new york emissions and getting the computer square isnt in my abilities

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
373 and 33s are a good combo on the street. they will actually give you slightly better mileage than 373 with stock tires (at least it did for me) The truck performed like stock and it didn't have any problem with acceleration etc. Good combo IMO

I also wouldnt say a ls swap is the easiest way to get 300hp. A well picked cam and exhaust with a tune and he can be close if not there.

Reaction score
to be honest i hear headers run hot so i dont know if im gonna play with that. probably just a cat back deal. already got duals to the muffler any way. but would a cam alone help or would i have to play with the whole valve train?

Reaction score
ok so i didnt wanna start a new thread ill pick up where i left off. found out i got 3.42s. is worth my while getting the 4.10s for the rear just for 33s? id hate to put money into this and have it move like a pig. heres some on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-8-5-10-Bolt-Ring-and-Pinion-4-10-Ratio-Value-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adf851b51QQitemZ390297099089QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories let me know what ya think and is switchin the gears out somethin i can learn to do in my driveway? i dont plan on doin muddin or any of that. thanks fellas

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to do gears and you say its only a summer toy, go with 4.56's, they should be the same price. Add a locker and with a healthy running motor it will have much better bottom end pull. RPM's will be higher on the highway but since its not a DD, I wouldnt worry about it.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3.42 arent really that bad but they arent that great either. I guess it depends what you want and $$$ avaible to do it. If your happy with the performance of it now then no real reason to swap gears especially if the money is not there. Now if money is there and you want some better 'off the line' pull go, regear with 4.56's with the 33's, unless you see alot of highway driving then go to 4.10's.

Another option would be to find some 3.73 front and rear complete housings and swap them in. Shuold be able to find them for little money and also resell yours to make some back. Have a little gain for little money. I didnt find 3.73 gears and 33's to terrible.