33's whats next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
so i have a 96 tahoe 5.7 4l60e 80k and its stock. puttin a 3" lift and 33s on iin a few month's and was just wondering if i should do anything else like to preserve the tranny and ****. (servo, gears ,etc)just cuz of the tire size change. the trucks never towed or plowed with and wont ever will be. any and all help would be appriciated. i know you guys all mod this kinda **** after the bigger tires i just dont know what specificly is good for my set-up

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would do gears, but make sure you get the gap gaurds or make them and the rear bumper lifted up to match too.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
You would have to run the RPO codes to know what came stock from the factory but my guess would be 3.73s with it being 4x4 and in that case I wouldn't worry about it to much. Beefy up the transmission would be a good idea if you beat on it but I dailyed that same set up for a long time with 3.73s and beat the absolute **** out of it, I may of went through 3 different rear ends before getting my 14 bolt but it was a solid setup. You won't make your money back out of regearing which is mostly to take stress off the drive train and keep performance comparable to stock, 33s are kind of that gray area when it comes to it, if you went to 35s then I'd recommend 4.56s but at stock might as well stay with the 3.73s especially if you plan to go bigger later.

Reaction score
cool beans so u think a vette servo or whatever would serve me well? im just a young buck learnin outta shop manuals and readin what u guys post

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea it could be 3.73's my 88 4x4 has 3.42's though and it sucks. I was thinking at least 3.73s or 4.10's for 33's.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
yea it could be 3.73's my 88 4x4 has 3.42's though and it sucks. I was thinking at least 3.73s or 4.10's for 33's.

4.10s would be prime but not worth my money for such a minimal change in ratio, given that if he has 3.73s if they're 3.42s then I would consider it.

What are your future plans for the truck, the small things now will help you later.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would agree, the cost and time from going to 4.10's from 3.73's is really not much worth it. Sure there would be a difference but not as much as going from 3.42's.

As for the trans, have to let butch or somebody else handle that one I don't know alot about OD transmissions.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I'm not much of a trans guy but unless your beating on it whether offroad, towing, or racing, I wouldn't bother with it, but we'll have to know what your plans are on the truck in the long run, some 60e's are ticking time bombs while others give you years of service, they are also a dime a dozen like 350's when it blows go pick up another for $300 and go again, its a hell of a lot cheaper than keep rebuilding them.