305 in the 305..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with the Edelbrock self learning because that is what I found as inexpensively as the most basic of those TBI style systems, but it is a true sequential multi point system and controls the ignition timing. I went with the 43.5 psi regulator even because my combination did not need the 58 psi. The injectors are 29 lb/hr and they offer an exchange to 35 lb/hr if they were never opened for like $100. The 350 would need boost to use more than the 29s can flow at 58 psi. As a plus I was able to mount the ECM inside the van under the drivers seat rather than under the hood rather than the ECM boiling on the throttle body itself on top of the engine vibrating it apart.
Which kit are you using it sounds great?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which kit are you using it sounds great?
Proflow 4 in the 4150 style for Vortec heads. I found mine in the Summit Racing bargain cave clearence area for $1200 complete in an open box. The manifold had never bolted on and the harness, ECM and all the goodies were still sealed in the plastic bags they came in. The Edelbock system even comes with a new dual sync distributor. With a TBI style air cleaner does not even look that out of place, especially if I had painted the intake black and done something about those shiny fuel rails.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my tail pipe fell off, better swap a crate engine in. that's essentially what you posted. does that seem like a logical thought process to you?
I thought that sounded logical - if you read between the lines. "I want to replace my weak 305 with a fresh 350." I'm glad the two of you resolved it.

I have not torn down or rebuilt engines by my lonesome. I am comfortable bolting stuff on and taking stuff off. I have dropped Trannies (Transmissions fellas) and installed Engine components before, have replaced flywheels, alternators, compressors, starters so I am familiar, but not what I would call a veteran mechanic.
Since this is your first engine swap, go with like-for-like. I'd replace that 305 with a mildly warmed 350. It's a TBI, so it will require re-tuning, but it will likely run decently with the stock setup for a few weeks until you can get both the engine broken in and a replacement fuel system or TBI tweak.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought that sounded logical - if you read between the lines. "I want to replace my weak 305 with a fresh 350." I'm glad the two of you resolved it.

Since this is your first engine swap, go with like-for-like. I'd replace that 305 with a mildly warmed 350. It's a TBI, so it will require re-tuning, but it will likely run decently with the stock setup for a few weeks until you can get both the engine broken in and a replacement fuel system or TBI tweak.

I agree, like for like is a lot simpler. Then as the mechanical skills are gained, can swap on aftermarket efi, better heads, bigger cam, etc as budget allows. If he gets a good solid bottom end and swaps it in even as a stock TBI 350 top end on top, it gives a good base to build from later.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welp, i guess i get to put a pin in this as I do believe the fuel system took a dump and left me high and dry on the side of the expressway. Character building opportunity identified:rolleyes:

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, like for like is a lot simpler. Then as the mechanical skills are gained, can swap on aftermarket efi, better heads, bigger cam, etc as budget allows. If he gets a good solid bottom end and swaps it in even as a stock TBI 350 top end on top, it gives a good base to build from later.
this seems like the sane way to proceed and honestly, I would like to keep it as serviceable as possible as I think if I embark on some of the more advanced swaps that some of the more knowledgeable dudes here have suggested i would get myself in a whole heap o trouble.

93Beast

Reaction score
Build or buy a 383 crate motor and carburate it. If it's not something you have to rely on in cold whether or to drive over the Donner pass, a new carb with HEI ignition will be plenty reliable and drivable. Easy 350 HP or more and 400 ft lbs of torque. Easiest route.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do believe the fuel system took a dump and left me high and dry on the side of the expressway.
If you have to replace the fuel pump, jump straight to the Vortec fuel pump. It runs just fine with either a TBI or a Vortec intake and can support 400 hp. It's a drop-in replacement on either sending unit.