3 way 95+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay in my 96 I've gone through and done a full skar audio setup. I love the way it sounds but my mids/highs arent exactly what I want. I'm running the sk65c front component set with two additional tweeter sets. No rear channel as my subs and amps take up all the space and my box spans the whole section behind my seat.

My thing is, i'm not finding much on 3 way setups (I need to pick up a little in the 1000-6000hz range) so I'm wanting to add a pair of 4" mids to help pick up that freq range.

Here's my current setup:

1 - Skar sk65c component set
2 - Skar spx-T Tweeter sets
2 - Skar IVX 10" subs
1 - Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3 DSP
1 - JL audio e4300 AB 4 channel
1 - JL audio e1800D mono amp

Also upon going 3 way I'll add a second e4300 to provide the extra power I'll need to as well.

Thanks in advance.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I also forgot to add, the component set is in the factory location in the doors, doors and floor have been dedened as well.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not much help as I've never messed with three way systems in my vehicles. Quick observation though, the fact that you're running three times the normal amount of tweeters for those components is most likely why you're finding your midrange to be hollow. I run DLS components in my standard cab front and rear, and I had to attenuate the tweeters down to their lowest level in the passive crossovers to get them even close to where they weren't drowning out everything but deep bass.

Also might be worth considering going full active on your crossovers before you start throwing more drivers at it, that way you could dial everything in with a lot more accuracy.

Just some random thoughts.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not much help as I've never messed with three way systems in my vehicles. Quick observation though, the fact that you're running three times the normal amount of tweeters for those components is most likely why you're finding your midrange to be hollow. I run DLS components in my standard cab front and rear, and I had to attenuate the tweeters down to their lowest level in the passive crossovers to get them even close to where they weren't drowning out everything but deep bass.

Also might be worth considering going full active on your crossovers before you start throwing more drivers at it, that way you could dial everything in with a lot more accuracy.

Just some random thoughts.

Yeah when I last RTA'd the tuck i wasnt able to get enough on the top end hence why I ended up having to get two extra set of tweeters. Even on the 3sixty.3 and headunit I wasnt able to get enough out of the single set that came with my component set (12k+ was almost non existent compared to mid and sub.) Now wince I added them I can bring it up right to flat if I choose. But just having the single pair of 6.5s in the door they're having trouble keeping up from what the rta tells me. Hence why I'm throwing the idea around of going 3 way.

Another thing I can consider is ordering the Q-Logic kick panels and un a pair of 5.25 coax's in there. Just cross them a bit higher then what the 6.5's are. I'd just have to order another box of mojo mat but that's no big deal, I need to do the back of the cab badly and a box of it would take care of both and have a little leftover as well.