3" cat-back exhuast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on an exhaust modification. I have a 98 K1500 with the 5.7L. I found a guy who is parting out a truck and it has 3" exhaust all the way from the headers (no cats) into 2 magnaflow mufflers. I want to keep my cats but I'm thinking if I buy this setup off of him I could cut it and weld the 3" pipes to that flange just after the cats. Right now I'm pretty sure my exhaust is the 1 7/8" pipe, what are your thoughts on the size change? Would this have a negative effect on my system or since it's far enough back would it not matter? I'm new to this so I would be getting someone else to do it, I just want to know if it's worth buying the exhaust or not. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya the one I'm looking at buying is 3" true duals, so pipe from headers to 2 separate 3" in / 3" out mufflers and then the piping to either side of the truck out the back.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3" True duels is extreme over kill for your engine unless you are pushing 1000hp. Your low end is going to be terrible.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if I only used one pipe? Put a Y pipe after the cats and have only one 3" pipe/muffler going out the back?

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even with stock headers and cats?

Yes

In "General"

You must be registered for see images attach

What if I only used one pipe? Put a Y pipe after the cats and have only one 3" pipe/muffler going out the back?

That would be a better choice. There are some relatively inexpensive options out there.

Check out some of these resent threads.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...-for-a-Bolt-on-Y-pipe-upgrade-for-a-96-vortec

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...Pipe-on-a-Vortec-3%94-SI-SO-Exhaust-for-Burbs

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I've seen that chart before, thanks for finding it again though. I just figured that keeping it stock further up would be a bottle neck, and so the cat-back portion wouldn't matter as much. Poor assumption I guess haha.

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea those threads are pretty helpful, thanks. I was hoping to have the looks of 2 tail pipes but whatever. So when I was considering doing full duals I was thinking about putting in an H pipe too. But now if I'm going to put a Y pipe after the cats into one muffler putting an H pipe between the cats and the Y pipe would be pretty pointless eh?

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
I've got stock headers and stock cats. They should all be 2 3/4" from factory. Custom fabbed an H pipe to go from the cat flange (welded on, burnt 2 gaskets out before I was smart enough for this) to the Magnaflow XL series dual in-single out muffler. I can get a video and post it up if you'd like?