2wd coil spacers good or bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 96 c1500 with a 2” coil spacer level. I had it professionally installed for almost a year now with zero problems, but I was recently reading a thread where a lot of people said that coil spacers on our trucks are bad. I could see problems happening if you went over 2”, but since I only have 2”, am I fine? Any long term issues I should be worried about? If so, would it be worth the pain to take the spacers out?

Also my spacers are the u-shaped kind that mount under the coil spring.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Did you re-aim the headlights, or are you blinding oncoming traffic?

2. Did they have sense enough to loosen the upper and lower control arm mounting bolts and then re-tighten after the spacers were installed, so the bonded-rubber bushings aren't pre-stressed with the new ride-height? Are the control arm bushings in good condition?

3. Front-end alignment adequate for handling and tire wear? I'd expect potential camber problems.

4. Longer front shocks needed?

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. Did you re-aim the headlights, or are you blinding oncoming traffic?

2. Did they have sense enough to loosen the upper and lower control arm mounting bolts and then re-tighten after the spacers were installed, so the bonded-rubber bushings aren't pre-stressed with the new ride-height? Are the control arm bushings in good condition?

3. Front-end alignment adequate for handling and tire wear? I'd expect potential camber problems.

4. Longer front shocks needed?
Yes, I repositioned the headlights.
Yes, i put longer shocks in.
Yes, the same shop that installed the kit aligned it right afterward.
I haven’t looked at the control arm bushings.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most likely referring to ball joint angles

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can take pics of the ball joints when I get a chance. If the angle is too extreme, would that be solved with a bj spacer?

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

(Drivers side wheel)
Sorry if these aren’t the best pics, but do the ball joint angles look ok? I apologize for the newb question but Im not a suspension expert.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I barely noticed any ride difference when I did the lift, either way, it rides smooth enough for me lol. So since my bj angles are fine, I guess no need to pull the spacers out. Thanks for the info!

Also, if I wanted to install the RC 4” spindles in addition to the 2” coil spacers, would I need to change anything like extended brake lines or control arms? I understand the spindles don’t affect geometry but I’m a suspension newb so idk if any other parts would need to be changed