2500 OBS to NBS Hub swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I seems FullSizeChevy and Vortec454 are gone. I don’t have the details anymore around doing the hub swap. I have the 2002 no-HD front hubs but now no instructions. Anyone know where to find them?

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Helomedic added some pics of his swap in the NBS thread, not sure if you see that:

A youtuber who I'm not a fan of also did a video. I'm pretty sure he cross threaded his adapters on:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm not sure if you have the correct knuckles/hubs. I thought the light duty years to use was 99-00. Also upon doing mine, I found the front GM fittings were metric thread, I think they switched them up when they went to the big Kelsey Hayes ABS unit.

I went with the hydroboost, and brakes/knuckles out of a 2004 HD, and deleted the pile of useless weight on the inner fender.

Last edited:

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Helomedic added some pics of his swap in the NBS thread, not sure if you see that:

A youtuber who I'm not a fan of also did a video. I'm pretty sure he cross threaded his adapters on:

I'm not sure if you have the correct knuckles/hubs. I thought the light duty years to use was 99-00. Also upon doing mine, I found the front GM fittings were metric thread, I think they switched them up when they went to the big Kelsey Hayes ABS unit.

I went with the hydroboost, and brakes/knuckles out of a 2004 HD, and deleted the pile of useless weight on the inner fender.

ur right I think it’s a 2000 knuckle. I’m positive they can from a non-HD truck. That first link you sent is for 1/2tons I believe. But I can definitely check out the YouTube video

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can use the HD knuckle but need to ream TRE and lower ball joint, or use the newer arm....

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can use the HD knuckle but need to ream TRE and lower ball joint, or use the newer arm....
I thought the lower are from the HD kit doesn’t line up. And there are issues with the tie-rod end?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I thought the lower are from the HD kit doesn’t line up. And there are issues with the tie-rod end?

I think the issue is the lower shock mounts when using the 800 lca's. i also think the non-HD 8-lug knuckles get you out of a tie-rod mis-match. Otherwise, I'm not sure there would be any reason to use them over the 2001+ HD knuckles.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My understanding is that the lower arm will bolt up, the shock mount is slightly different but easy to mod, they all use the smaller b/j over the GMT400's. The TRE is the difference, 99-00- uses the same size TRE as the GMT400, the later HDs use a bigger one, so have to ream it or use the HD TRE. Either way, need to ream the upper b/j knuckle.