2014 Tundra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98C2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish more vehicles were boxy in general, to be honest.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Meh, not a fan.

But, it's probably a smart marketing move on toyota's part:

People who buy trucks to work 'em only care about payload, power and fleet running costs. It could look like a ripe banana for all they care. Its going to get beat to crap on the job anyways...

The rest of the market share is socker moms and business men. Making look more like a car and still marketing it as a "truck" will increase sales. They don't actually want a truck that can haul a couple thousand pounds, they want the illusion that they have a truck, but they want it to act like a car.

So you get bigger cabs and smaller beds. You get big funky wheel flares that do nothong but try and look tough. You get rich soft leather and more electronic dodads. You get trucks that begin to look like big fat cars and less like traditional trucks.

What they really want is a station wagon, they just don't want to admit it....

But, I didn't say i like it, i said it is a smart business move. Appeal to the biggest market segment possible that has the cash to spend.

It's all about bottom line in the boardroom, nothing else......

Last edited:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Meh, not a fan.

But, it's probably a smart marketing move on toyota's part:

People who buy trucks to work 'em only care about payload, power and fleet running costs. It could look like a ripe banana for all they care. Its going to get beat to crap on the job anyways...

The rest of the market share is socker moms and business men. Making look more like a car and still marketing it as a "truck" will increase sales. They don't actually want a truck that can haul a couple thousand pounds, they want to look like they have a truck but have it ride and feel like a car.

I didn't say i like it, i said it is a smart business move. Appeal to the biggest market segment possible that has the cash to spend.

It's all about bottom line in the boardroom, nothing else......

very, very true...

but this might cause some sort of a problem down the road- all the poor "lower" class or "middle" class people are driving 20-30 year old trucks... for some reason I don't see that truck being used 30 years from now, and if it was, it would cost a fortune to keep going with all the computer crap. And by that time GMT400's and like trucks will be 50-60 years old and probably not used very much...... I don't know many farmers who would drive a truck like that. They like stuff they can afford to fix or fix by themselves. That isn't going to happen with the last decade of crap they've made.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
very, very true...

but this might cause some sort of a problem down the road- all the poor "lower" class or "middle" class people are driving 20-30 year old trucks... for some reason I don't see that truck being used 30 years from now, and if it was, it would cost a fortune to keep going with all the computer crap. And by that time GMT400's and like trucks will be 50-60 years old and probably not used very much...... I don't know many farmers who would drive a truck like that. They like stuff they can afford to fix or fix by themselves. That isn't going to happen with the last decade of crap they've made.

These are decent points, but the truth is the oems don't care about 10-20 years down the road and the used car buyer other than to use them as a selling ploy for more new vehicles (ie: highest resale, etc)

Thier outlook on industrial use is you should buy an industrial vehicle, not a pickup like these.

They could care less if the average farmer cant afford a new duramax powered hino or something similar.

It's a current corporate mindset of grab as much as you can while you can while cutting the hell out of quality and the bottom line.

and it's dragging us all down the tubes...

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
very, very true...

True... however, while current American trucks may look better, underneath they are very similar to this Toyota in how they are built. So one could easily say the same statement about current Fords and Chevys........

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
True... however, while current American trucks may look better, underneath they are very similar to this Toyota in how they are built. So one could easily say the same statement about current Fords and Chevys........

Yup. True.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score

I was- that's why I said the "That isn't going to happen with the last decade of crap they've made." Sorry for not clarifying- I met all trucks in general, all makes. All look like crap and won't last very long, nor be affordable to run by the time they are passed on to average joe.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I guess there is no debadgeing that tail gate hahaha I liked the current model way better than those nasty things