2011 VW GTI top end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And THIS is what derailed the father/son truck project. It’s still happening and just now getting back on track. Except that now I think it’s turned into my truck since he wants the VW.

And now I’m finally over my 100 posts so I should finally be able to post in the classified and wanted section! Lol

Sorry for so many posts. But you can only add 5 pics per post.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season is here.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And THIS is what derailed the father/son truck project. It’s still happening and just now getting back on track. Except that now I think it’s turned into my truck since he wants the VW.

And now I’m finally over my 100 posts so I should finally be able to post in the classified and wanted section! Lol

Sorry for so many posts. But you can only add 5 pics per post.
Newton-meters? I have been metric since the 70s, but we still use pound-feet here. Both units are on my torque wrenches, and no French-(have to be Canadian to know that pun). All Good

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newton-meters? I have been metric since the 70s, but we still use pound-feet here. Both units are on my torque wrenches, and no French-(have to be Canadian to know that pun). All Good
Well, my torque wrenches have both as well. But all of the specs you find are in Newton meters. So no sense in converting it when it’s already there on the wrench.

Usually I don’t care much about torque specs. But things like heads bolts, rocker cover bolts, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts and oil pan bolts are a different story. Head gaskets won’t seal, or bolts will loosen or gaskets won’t seal due to over or under tightening them.

But your basic bolt anywhere else gets whatever seems right based on where it is and how big or small it is.

And nope, definitely don’t get the Canadian pun. Besides, I thought that all of you guys were French anyway! Lol

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season is here.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my torque wrenches have both as well. But all of the specs you find are in Newton meters. So no sense in converting it when it’s already there on the wrench.

Usually I don’t care much about torque specs. But things like heads bolts, rocker cover bolts, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts and oil pan bolts are a different story. Head gaskets won’t seal, or bolts will loosen or gaskets won’t seal due to over or under tightening them.

But your basic bolt anywhere else gets whatever seems right based on where it is and how big or small it is.

And nope, definitely don’t get the Canadian pun. Besides, I thought that all of you guys were French anyway! Lol
The girls too, well on my wife's side. And my sister married a Frenchman, so I am out numbered. C'est la vie!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And more parts!! Plus lots of new tools. German vehicles don’t use many regular metric head bolts. Mostly torx and something called triple squares.
The top layer is all torx and triple square. They're job security bolts. Once you get under them it's mostly metric hex head.

Nice car, and the new Golfs I've driven have been fantastic, but I know enough not to own a German car out of warranty. You won't be able to get back on to your GMT400.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The top layer is all torx and triple square. They're job security bolts. Once you get under them it's mostly metric hex head.

Nice car, and the new Golfs I've driven have been fantastic, but I know enough not to own a German car out of warranty. You won't be able to get back on to your GMT400.
That couldn’t be more true! Yes, they’re decent looking, very fun cars to drive! But this is the most expensive $2k car I’ve ever owned!

It’s not just a stereotype about German cars and their lack of reliability! It’s very accurate from my experience!

The only good thing about it is that my son has learned so much. Partly due to upgrades, and partly due to nonstop corrective maintenance.

So since he’s 16 now and wants to drive it, I drew the line in the sand and told him that I’d help him for big jobs or whenever he’s getting his a$$ kicked. But otherwise it’s on him. Because it’s no exaggeration to say that multiple times the plan was to work on the Z71, but we got derailed by some necessary fix on this thing.

But with that being said, he’s already done a lot on his own without me. Upgraded turbo downpipe, upgraded intercooler just to name a couple. And guess what, he half assed it and had exhaust rattle and noises because he had clamps touching the body. And had boost leaks because of misaligned and under tightening intercooler piping. Which is great I think. And teaches him to be OCD and do things right the first time.

It’s like my dad always told me. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Or the Navy phrase was slow is fast. Because if you rush through and do it fast it takes longer in the long run to go back and redo or fix whatever.

Anyway, one day he called himself a, “gear head”, before I had him doing all of this. And I told him that I was going to make him eat his words. I said, there’s a big difference in a car enthusiast and a gear head. One can watch videos or read post and talk specs. And the other knows his a$$ from a whole in the ground and can actually hands on get the job done.

But now I have to admit that he’s pretty impressive for his age for sure. And to all of his little high school car enthusiast friends he’s an automotive legend. Because he knows and understands things and they’re clueless. They want bought, and now he sees the value and pride of ownership in built, not bought. So he’s constantly helping his friends work on their stuff. Plus he’s the only one who can drive a manual transmission. But he’s teaching a few of them how to in his car. So I see a new clutch in my future!!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just heard of "triple square" a few weeks ago. I don't remenber if it was in regards to my Volvo or if it was while reasearching a Porsche Cayenne. My Volvo has quite a few Torx. I just did the timing belt on it, brcause it too is an interference engine.

Your VW turned out looking fantastic.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just heard of "triple square" a few weeks ago. I don't remenber if it was in regards to my Volvo or if it was while reasearching a Porsche Cayenne. My Volvo has quite a few Torx. I just did the timing belt on it, brcause it too is an interference engine.

Your VW turned out looking fantastic.
Thanks! I thought so too. I just hope that I can get the Z71 to look at good.

I love the red with black accent look personally. It’s since the truck is already red it’s definitely the easiest route to go.