2011 VW GTI top end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
clgodwin79 I'm also in the Hampton Roads area. I live in Portsmouth (Churchland area) and would like to meet up sometime. Once I get my 96' K1500 up and running in the next few weeks I can bring it by between the underways of the Ford. You and your Son are also welcome over if you'd like. I'm always rebuilding engines and working on fast project cars it the area. I'm about to assemble a 400hp LM7 LS 5.3 for a Chief that's going into his 85' Monte Carlos SS this summer. You and him are welcome to come over and watch/help build it. He can learn a lot from watching the engine build progress and to clearance spec for it's end purpose. My cell is (224) 619-0925 text anytime. My number is also welcome to anyone on here to by the way. -Blaine

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course, since the boy claimed it, he didn’t want it looking like every other GTI on the road. So the cosmetic mods started. Sanded the headlights and tinted them. Painted the backs of the badges GTI red and the chrome VW emblems black. And since it’s a Euro car, the fog lights yellow.

You must be registered for see images attach
Not sure where you got the idea that"euro cars fog lights are yellow" from, as the only yellow lights you could find in Europe was headlights in France (much more rare nowadays) but I must say that it complements the look.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clgodwin79 I'm also in the Hampton Roads area. I live in Portsmouth (Churchland area) and would like to meet up sometime. Once I get my 96' K1500 up and running in the next few weeks I can bring it by between the underways of the Ford. You and your Son are also welcome over if you'd like. I'm always rebuilding engines and working on fast project cars it the area. I'm about to assemble a 400hp LM7 LS 5.3 for a Chief that's going into his 85' Monte Carlos SS this summer. You and him are welcome to come over and watch/help build it. He can learn a lot from watching the engine build progress and to clearance spec for it's end purpose. My cell is (224) 619-0925 text anytime. My number is also welcome to anyone on here to by the way. -Blaine
Wow! That’s awesome! I appreciate it! I retired from the Navy 2 years ago myself. But I was a sub guy. A communications Chief, so an ITS (the S is for submarines). And now I’m a contractor doing the same thing. I groom submarines networks just prior to their deployment. And I’m actually on travel in Hawaii in my hotel right now. I’m grooming the Chicago’s network. But I’ll finally be home by Friday.

Thank you for your service.

I also have a build going on right now too if a 1995 K1500 stepside. We just got the engine back from the machine shop and are in the process of building it between my work travel trips.

We bought a 1996 Tahoe donor so we could build a Vortec engine vice a TBI.

I’ll definitely talk to him about it and take you up on your offer though. Thanks!

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you got the idea that"euro cars fog lights are yellow" from, as the only yellow lights you could find in Europe was headlights in France (much more rare nowadays) but I must say that it complements the look.
I know that France did the yellow headlights. I’m talking about the Euro trend of people making their front lights yellow. BMW guys with the older 30 series that had separate lights for high and low beams seem to like to go yellow with a set. Anyway, it was just a little extra something to set it apart from the crowd really.

I actually just wet sanded the plastic housings with 600 grit to clean them up since they were pretty badly pitted anyway. Then sprayed them with rattle can stain glass window yellow. And it took quite a few coats. But then I sealed it in with 2k legit clear coat. So it’s pretty strong and should hold up well over time without fading or chipping.

I have enjoyed all of my smaller paint projects. It’s getting me more experience to paint my OBS myself. For as much as you pay someone else to paint a vehicle you may as well do it yourself and get the tools and experience out of it. Plus save money and get the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself anyway. At least that’s my theory. Besides, the body work and prep is the hard part and time consuming part. If you’re willing to take your time and wet sand imperfections out between base coat and clear coat, and you do a flow coat of clear, you can cut and buff a paint job to look amazing even just doing it in your own backyard. Literally!!

Don’t worry, I’ll be documenting and posting through the whole process.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember one of my neighbors having yellow plastic cutouts to put on his headlights when he drove "on the continent" when I was a kid. We all thought it was so cool....

Also yeah, you'll see European cars with yellow fogs over here, it's part of a look.