2005 Z71 Tahoe Timeline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
We took our yearly trip down to Alabama a few weeks ago to see my wife’s parents. Drove a little over 2,000 miles in a week without any problems. It was definitely nice to get down there and wash all of the salt off. Also rolled over 268,000 miles on the way home. It’s going on 2 1/2 years I’ve owned it and have put 41,000 on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Quite the accomplishment for sure!!

Started buying a couple items to fix broken ones. When I bought the Tahoe, I swapped out a leaky washer resovoir tank, only to realize it was the grommet leaking at the washer pump after it was put back together. Finally got around to fixing it the other day and finally can use washer fluid again lol.

My gauges also have been dimming and flickering completely out recently, so I grabbed the headlight control and have to fix that. Also picked up some new steering whee controls to throw in.

Cleaned her all up awhile back before the snow hit. She doesn’t look all that bad.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Much better. Only took me 3 1/2 years to replace the mirror glass. Previous owner backed into something and cracked it, then glued it back into the housing.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Time for a small update. About a month ago, I started having trouble at the gas pump. I could only pull the nozzle about 1/4 of the way without the gas backing up out of the filler neck so I instantly thought of the charcoal canister and the related parts to it. I bought a new canister along with the filter and line and reinstalled it. I’m still having the same problem so I think some of the lines I haven’t replaced are plugged with the charcoal pellets. The tank may have to be dropped so I’m taking it to the shop to let them deal with that part.

I have more work I have to do also, but I’ll post as I replace things.

On the plus side, I hit a milestone the other day.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you fill your gas tank at the pump, when it clicks off, stop. Do not pump more gas. If you try to top the tank up completely the extra gas goes into the charcoal canister and eventually saturates the charcoal. It'll trip your check engine light. I don't think that's your issue, but I figured I'd make a PSA.

You might try and slide a borescope into the filler neck. At some point some idiot kid in my neighborhood tried to siphon gas out of my Jeep and lost a section of hose into my filler neck. After that I always had trouble gassing it up. I sold the Jeep before I got around to fishing it out.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When you fill your gas tank at the pump, when it clicks off, stop. Do not pump more gas. If you try to top the tank up completely the extra gas goes into the charcoal canister and eventually saturates the charcoal. It'll trip your check engine light. I don't think that's your issue, but I figured I'd make a PSA.

You might try and slide a borescope into the filler neck. At some point some idiot kid in my neighborhood tried to siphon gas out of my Jeep and lost a section of hose into my filler neck. After that I always had trouble gassing it up. I sold the Jeep before I got around to fishing it out.
The EVAP solenoid on these is under the truck. Had to do one on the '06, the job woulda took five minutes except for the "quick disconnect"(NOT!) line on the part. At least on the Yukon XL/Burb that's where it is. Since the SUVs all have the tank mounted underneath, I'd think it's the same on a Tahoe.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
I got the Tahoe back and my fuel filling issue is solved. They also replaced the driver side exhaust manifold because two of the bolts were broke off.

Today I was outside and a guy from the other end of the subdivision came walking over with cash for it. Sold it for $3k. I’m pretty happy considering the miles I’ve put on it and it’s getting rough around the edges. He’s been looking for one since his ‘05 Denali took a crap. So needless to say, I’m on the lookout for another vehicle lol.