2003 Blazer: The Work Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I guess since I've made mention of it a few times, I may as well give it its own thread.

You must be registered for see images attach

This truck was basically just a means to an end... I wanted something that would get better mileage than my GMT400 on a 75-mile round trip job commute, but I was not going to buy a car. I'd had a 4-door 4x4 Blazer previously and kinda missed it, so I went looking for another. I wanted something cheap, but in "decent" condition... Looked at probably 6 other Blazers before finding this one in Fort Worth, TX on October 29,2017.

2003 Chevy Blazer, 2 door, 2wd, 4.3 v6 auto, power everything, floor shift console, power driver seat, no rust, few dents, paint in fair shape, 152k miles...... $1000. I bought it for the great body and frame pretty much....

It came with a destroyed dash and center console, shifter boot was broken and shredding, nasty mildewed carpet, faded away headlights, the engine had blown head gaskets on both sides and oil/coolant everywhere that either could go (but I didn't know that yet), cat was plugged up with holes drilled into the pre-cat so it would move under its own power.... barely. Transmission worked okay, except the 1-2 shift would kill you because it hesitated so bad.

The guy who was selling it wasn't even the last driver... His neighbor had sold or given it to him and moved out, and he just let it sit for a month or so before trying to get rid of it. I figured what the heck. All my other leads had come up empty so I'm taking this truck. In the background of the second pic, you can see my dad's 2003 Silverado we came in.. He followed me back to Longview in that truck while I drove the Blazer as fast as it could go................about 55 mph down I-20 with the plugged up spluttering catalytic converter LOL. Surprisingly enough though, it did manage to get 20mpg on the trip! Sierra hadn't managed to quite hit that number yet, so things were looking good already. Little did I know I was going to have to almost literally rebuild the entire truck from the ground up lol.

Sadly I never did get pictures of the drilled pre-cat... In fact I didn't take many pics of this truck at all, at least not really... Wish I had. Oh well. A week or so went by of me working, had a shop weld a new cat in, then tore the whole front-end off.

Idler, ball joints, tie rods, center link, steering gearbox, wheel bearings, A-arm bushings, sway bar bushings, shocks, brake pads, ALL replaced. Brake rotors turned, still good thankfully. Parking brake adjusted, as it didn't work at all previously. Right rear brake caliper also got done as it was seized.

While I had it apart in there, I threw in my old 2007 Sony 4x6s in the dash and Sony 6.5s in the front doors. I knew I'd kept those around for so long for some reason :D Later, I bought Pioneer 6x9s for the rear panels.

Stock head for now, but I drilled a hole in the empty space where a tape deck would be, and popped in a stereo jack wired to the CD player audio lines.

That did me nicely, until I recently decided... That's no longer good enough. But we'll get to that later lol.

You know me. I had to LED.

I was going to go with all red, but at that time I didn't have 6 reds! So I popped in a pair of blues on the sides. Loved it, so it's still that way to this day lol. Cool thing is, when the fuel gauge starts getting closer to empty, it turns more red :D

Went back and forth to work in the Sierra some more, because I still don't quite trust the Blazer yet... Steering's still really loose, and it drinks coolant. Figured I would have to do lower intake manifold gaskets, so I didn't drive it.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The day I was going to do the intake gaskets, I went out and bought the good Felpro set with the metal-lined gaskets... Never use the plastic ones. They suck lol. Well... Then I pulled the drain on the radiator, and THIS came out.

Oh that's not good. Pulled the intake off...

I mean, I really expected a LOT worse. But wait... This means things ARE a lot worse LOL!! Welp............

Somebody thought I needed help unbolting the transmission crossmember.....

Oh hey, now you can see all my shiny new steering parts!

Unbolting the transmission didn't go quite according to plan. Somehow or another, one of the TC bolts completely stripped out the threads in the TC.

That's not gonna work. Well the trans is shot anyway, so I bought one off my buddy in Fort Worth - it'd been sitting in his garage for the better part of 3 years or so, had about 65k miles on it, used... But he all but gave it to me with a good TC, so I said F it and brought it home. It does have a slightly hesitant 3-2 downshift, but I've gotten used to it and work around it for the most part. Runs great otherwise!

So.. Obviously I need to do head gaskets. So I went ahead and pulled the heads off... Oh. Well I guess we can see where all the oil and coolant was getting together! How this thing didn't overheat and blow up in the 155 miles I drove it home, I'll never know...

This is getting to be a disaster.

Oh, um.... That transmission to the right? It's still there. To this day. And that photo was taken in December of 2017. The speaker box it's sitting on has caved in too. It's awesome.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Valves removed, heads taken to local machine shop for cleanup and assessment.

When I brought them in, they gave me a lot of info about engine rebuilds and things to look for. They told me that given the conditions the engine was run, I should probably check the crank and rod bearings. I pulled two main caps and a rod cap, and THAT was the point I realized, I'm in WAY over my head.

I took the entire remaining block and pieces to the machine shop to join its heads, and it stayed there for nearly two months in a backlog of engines they had to work on.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well, since working on the engine is now out of the picture pretty much, let's get this interior to look at least marginally better.

RIP IT ALL OUT.

Oh hey, you can see my Sony 6.5s now lol. Carpet got pressure washed in the driveway with Dawn dishwashing soap scrubbed all over it. All of the padding underneath the front half got thrown out and replaced from a clean donor truck. I'd have taken the carpet from the donor as well, but it had black carpet and I wanted to stick with the light gray.

Reinstalled... With some new wires! Ran a cheap CCA 4-gauge run from the engine bay to the back for a small amp and sub in case I'd want to throw one in. I did, for a while... A Vr3 amp powering a 250wRMS Sony 12" in a tiny stealth box lol.

What are we even doing with all this crap anyway?

New A/C Evaporator, new heater core, new blower fan, new fan speed resistor pack, washed out blower box inside and out......... Reinstall!

lol you can see the dash is missing chunks out of the top... I don't care. It's even worse now haha.

Found myself a set of factory fog light housings, and ripped a complete front-end lighting harness from a 98 Jimmy to make em work. Then all of a sudden I discovered that the Body Control Module wouldn't turn them on because the truck didn't come with fogs from the factory. What the #$^%%#! Stupid computerized CRAP! All the wiring is there, WHY IS THE PROGRAMMING NOT?! Ugh. Well I got around it anyway. Don't tell me what I can and can't do with my truck.

Had to move some pins around in this green connector. Because of course they changed things between 98-03 lol.

I WILL HAVE FOG LIGHTS! Oh and a few other things too, yeah.

Found me a good console that wasn't shattered.. Sadly, no shifter boot yet. So it still looks like this. Oh yeah, that's a GMT400 temp/compass/dimming mirror and a trip DIC up there as well :D

This happened...

It was around this time I decided to start painting things. Due note: I'm not very good at it. But this isn't exactly a show truck so screw it.

Moving on....

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
My engine's ready? MY ENGINE'S READY!!! Weeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllll..... Sort of haha. Surprisingly, all they had to do was hone the cylinders on the block, as for the most part it still looked pretty good. The heads needed a little more work done to them, but I don't remember exactly what anymore. I didn't pay much mind. They dropped in all new main and rod bearings, new timing chain and gears, the crank had to be ground some, but was still usable along with the original rods, pistons, and cam. They installed the crank, cam, balancer, new oil pump and pickup, timing and cover, lifters, heads, valves, and crank pulley, then I took it from that point. I installed the oil pan while still at the shop, then they threw it into the back of my Sierra for me to take home on the 2nd of March 2018. At some point along the way, I had left my lower intake manifold with them to clean up and check as well. It cleaned up nice!

Starting to look like an engine again lol.

Line up and install to the "new" transmission...

SH%T.

I dropped my engine. Picked it up with the engine hoist, and the lift cylinder slipped off of its mounting plate somehow. Thankfully, the engine wasn't very far off the speaker box the transmission was sitting on, so it really only tipped forward, but the crank pulley got bent and the hoist rammed into the ignition coil. THANKFULLY, the crankshaft is okay. Threw on a spare coil, bought a new pulley and painted it, installed the headers, installed the engine, then the accessories.

E-FANS YUSSS!! From a 2000 Camaro. Cut the shroud and crammed them in lol. There's also a brand new radiator, radiator base bushings, A/C condenser, rad cap, AD244 alternator, and blue stuff.

She's so close to being ready to start!!!

Well, I started it up for the first time on March 10, 2018. Cranked... Cranked... No dice. No spark or fuel either. LOL oh. The CKP isn't plugged in. I'd had to replace the wiring to it because the oil leak from before had rotted off all the old wiring insulation. Plugged it in, she fired up within 2 seconds. Idled nice and smooth!! For about a minute, then....sputter splutters.......... die.

I'd have been lost as all hell if I didn't have my HPTuners laptop hooked up to it at the time to discover that the crank/cam correlation was showing -62 degrees! Ooops! Pulled the distributor, moved it one tooth over, fired it up again. PERFECT!!! Now.. Now maybe we can finish rebuilding this thing.

Can't tell where the water pump was sitting for three months can you?

Little dirty.

DONE.

For the first time since going down November 16th, the Blazer moved under its own power from that carport on the 15th of March.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
This is what happens when you don't wash a truck right away and your mom gets her hands on it.

Sigh...

Now, about getting fogs... Since the factory switch wouldn't work due to GM's idiot control modules taking over everything, I had to wire in a switch to run them. Since I had the space, I also wired in an e-fan override, a Retained Accessory Power relay override (because for some reason this truck does not have a key-back accessory position, and no it's not forward either), a switch to power on my sub amp, and one for the torque converter clutch ..... This one's special.

Normal operation, the brake switch sends a +12v signal to the PCM to indicate that the brakes aren't applied. The TC clutch will lock. But as soon as the brakes are pressed, the +12v signal is removed, and the TCC unlocks. Well, I like DFCO, or Decel Fuel Cut-Off. So I cut the brake switch wire to the PCM. This TCC switch, when down, supplies normal operation, as if I hadn't changed anything. Center, it's like I have my foot on the brake, and the TCC will not lock. Up, CONSTANT +12v is always applied, meaning that TCC will not unlock until the tune (aka my tuning) tells it to :D .. Do I love it, yes I do. I hate automatics. When this one blows, it's getting a T56 lol. Probably a 5.3 too... But we'll see.

Status lights are a little bright.

Finally putting some miles on it!

Finally finished up the A/C install with a new compressor, dryer, and all new lines. Charged it up, and she'll freeze you out of the truck now! Oh and I had to replace the water pump bypass hose, that's why the alt bracket is gone lol

She's been my daily to and from work on the 75 mile commute since, for the most part. She's not my Sierra, but will certainly get the job done, and gets 22-24mpg highway doing it! Someday, I'll be able to tear down the Sierra because I have this little truck as a backup. It's here with me in Kermit for now.

Nah I'm not a cat person.

This post has determined that to be a lie.

Been frozen a couple times lol

Ah well...

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Most recently, I'd decided I'm done with a little sound system.. The 12" weak Sony wasn't doing it for me anymore. Ripped out the 4 gauge wire, installed brand new 1/0 gauge wire from battery to rear. In addition, the Big 3 got done in 1/0 gauge as well, along with me putting top-post terminals on the battery. Something I didn't really foresee when I did this? The starter LOVES the new wiring and starts up FAST as hell now! Amazing....

I picked up an Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit and a Sundown Audio SAE-2000.1D amp, grabbed the sub box that had been in my living room since I went to Kermit and threw in my old Alpine subs.. No, they don't match in looks. But they are rated identically, I don't feel like buying new subs, and they work well together lol. Finally, I can hear and feel the bass again. Man did I miss it.

Out with the old...

Mmmm.

Well. That hole isn't gonna be big enough.

Do you mind, Buddy?

What happens when your Sierra becomes a convenient place to put things...

Big wire. Much West Texas Dust. Gotta love it.

Mmmmmmhmmmmm!!!!

#customVibrationDampening

I wanted the amp remote in the cubby below the stereo, but of course it had to deny me that by being too big in its housing. So EFF the housing.

Love Alpine.

I have the knob mounted and the wires all hidden now, but that's the most recent picture I've bothered to get lol. Oh and see my totally custom USB/Aux input down there? Yeah...Had to widen that hole somewhat but I can close the door completely with a 90 degree Aux cord plugged in!

Aaaand that's pretty much it for now.

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like its back together, what kinda of MPG you getting? I've got a ZR2 thats a daily to work but the mileage is just.. bad. I've been keeping my eye on the 2wd 2 doors. Idea was to 3/3 or 4/4 drop it, set of ZQ8 wheels, and some decent street tires to try and squeak some good MPGs out of it.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I get 17-18 with only city driving (under 45), the highways are where it really opens up because I've tuned for it. She'll do 22-24 on average, but I have skinned that 25 number twice lol. I also have a 3.42 open diff. Best thing you can do to free up that engine is drop electric fans in. The clutch fan in these trucks are a serious drag. Aside from the tune and fans, maybe the new cat converter helps, I have nothing performance upgrade wise on this truck.

2001ZR2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm I did the electric fan upgrade on my ZR2 but used fans from a 2002 3.5 Intrepid R/T also but in the 244AD 140 amp alternator from a 2002 Tahoe. With the A/T tires and 3.73 it only gets 16-17 on the highway. But it will kick more ass off road than most will believe. Did Elephant Hill at Moab no problem expect the nut behind the wheel. Also came out of Bobby's Hole in Beef Basin which is a county road but the climb took 45 minutes and required moving rocks to over some things.Also running the stock tune so that will be on the agenda

On a side note I have done not one not two but 3 lower intake gasket replacements on the 4.3s so I hope the 5.7 in the Suburban will be similar this summer when I do it.

Last edited: