2001 5.3/4l60e swap into 1996 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the harness in my basement all labeled up and ready to get modified. Waiting for the computer to get back. I've got a laundry list of things to do so it's taking a toll on me motivationally. My last engine swap was in my 1981 El Camino, and the engine would not run, like it skipped a cam tooth.
You must be registered for see images attach
anyways, I sold it. About a week later I hear it only needed new plugs and a smaller carb. Really regret selling that car. With the money from the el camino, I bought the truck. It was an abandoned vehicle, stacked with clothes so high you couldn't see out the passenger window. They were moving and decided to sell it because they couldn't afford to fix it. It needed a distributor and injectors. This is it when I bought it. Only 200$
then I lowered it,
and then here we are today
it's just really draining on me. I work usually 50 hours a week and work sometimes till 4 in the morning. I had some sort of heat exhaustion too so I couldn't work on it. Anyways, here's where the engine is now.
the cold air intake tube blocks the upper rad so I have to do the filter like you did somehow, which means I gotta do electric fans.
Btw, I read up and found out that Hummer H2 aftermarket air intakes fit nicely in our set up.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No no, my apologies. I am not the red hoonigan. I should've stated that it wasn't my video. Truck is just so bad ass that its hard not make anyone want to ls swap one after watching some of his videos.
That's cool. Yes it one bad truck

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About a week. I've had a couple setbacks. My friend cut a brake line when grinding a motor mount bolt down. And then my trans cooler lines are kinked so I might as well just get braided lines. My shift selecter cable won't let me shift into park because trans is moved forward. Other than that it is going smoothish

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know any ideas on how to fix the shift cable? It's about 1/2 inch too short so it won't let the trans shift into park. Any suggestions are appreciated.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright. currently plugging in the new ls harness. my plan is to run both computers for a while, so i can use the factory coolant, alternator, oil pressure, and ac sensors. The stock computer also controls the abs system i believe as well. I'm getting really close to firing it up. Need to find some manifolds though, and then it should run, fingers crossed.

So far some loose ends i have to tie up are;
1) trans cooler lines to rad/oil cooler
2) shift linkage no likey moving the trans forward.
3) need to wire in some electric fans.

I'm excited to hear her run soon. Its a really nice feeling to be able to see all your work come together.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
getting there. rerouting and depinning the harness. so far, the purge valve is gone, egr gone, rear o2 sensors gone, coolant/oil level switches gone. @Dgonz , are you still running the stock computer for these c1500s? or is it just the new computer?

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
getting there. rerouting and depinning the harness. so far, the purge valve is gone, egr gone, rear o2 sensors gone, coolant/oil level switches gone. @Dgonz , are you still running the stock computer for these c1500s? or is it just the new computer?
I my case, my truck is a '94 so it's was pre-OBDII and its a plane Jane "W/T" model so I did not need the old c1500 ECU. But I did remove it after I fully swapped everything in and had it running right. My old ECU was behind the glovebox. In your case since its a '95 and newer, I would ask in the ls1tech.com or ls1truck.com forums. You can also do a Google search on it.

mattbrat004

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little update:
Found out my starter was fried (just my luck) so i went and got a new starter. the old computer is still connected to the fuse block but all the sensors are unplugged hanging over the side of the truck.
Now heres the interesting part. I can only get the starter to engage by jumping the terminals on the starter itself with a screw driver.
I am using the old solenoid wire from the old fuseblock/computer but it wont turn the starter.
Also to add to things, my fuel pump started to prime, and would only do it about half of the time when i turn the key, now it does nothing.
And lastly i have a question about the stock fuseblock. What points do i give constant 12v to and what do i give switched 12v to?

A)
B)

C)

thanks for all the help! @Dgonz