2000 Crew Cab Dually “Waylon”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought of him, but I don’t have the money or desire for that TorkLift hitch. That’s for the reply though. After searching his posts, it looks like a few others have good luck with Curt.

I’m really wondering if something is up with the truck. The spare tire crossmember was removed before I bought it, so maybe that’s allowed the frame to flex a little.

On my truck, that's a fairly substantial frame crossmember. I removed the hoist, and lightweight crossmember that keeps the tire from teeter-tottering. Unless your frame is designed differently, you should probably replace that.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It definitely needs to be replaced. There’s nothing between the fuel tank crossmember and the bumper other than the bed frame. I’ll get some pics tomorrow when I get the new hitch installed. It’s tough around here to find a frame that’s not trashed, so a replacement crossmember could be tough to find.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The big piece is riveted in, but there are also 2 smaller cross pieces that the outside of the spare rests on and they just bolt in/out.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I can see where the crossmember was, and where the rivets were burned out.

I got the B&W hitch tonight and got it installed. The 3 piece design made install much easier, and the fit and finish is first class. I’m quite pleased with the purchase, and look forward to B&W’s next product to go on the truck.

I just need to move my 2” ball over to the new 4” drop mount, and I’ll be all set for the first trip with the camper. I’m really looking forward to towing with a full-size vs the S10, and having a brake controller. Panic stops were terrifying with that rig.

Last edited:

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s been almost two weeks since an update, so I guess I’m overdue.

The truck made it out on its mayden camping trip for Memorial Day weekend. Just a short trip, only about 30mi outside of town. Everything went without a hiccup, so the wife was happy.

I’m definitely in the market for an accelerometer based brake controller. Even turned all the way down, it’s just too aggressive and jerky. K2XX mirrors are in the near future as well. Had a hell of a time backing the trailer. Those tiny mirrors make it tough to see past the dually hips.

You must be registered for see images attach

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I can see where the crossmember was, and where the rivets were burned out.

I got the B&W hitch tonight and got it installed. The 3 piece design made install much easier, and the fit and finish is first class. I’m quite pleased with the purchase, and look forward to B&W’s next product to go on the truck.

I just need to move my 2” ball over to the new 4” drop mount, and I’ll be all set for the first trip with the camper. I’m really looking forward to towing with a full-size vs the S10, and having a brake controller. Panic stops were terrifying with that rig.
As someone who has towed with an S10, I can definitely relate. I upgraded the brakes up front because i was afraid they would warp.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ZR2 did after 2 seasons of towing the popup. She was munching a u joint or two by the end of the season last year too.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I found the same thing, can't even see around the truck with the stock mirrors. Why GM deemed them adequate is beyond me, I'm just glad I didn't get a truck with the wide mirrors they did offer which mean they drilled holes in the truck. K2XX mirrors are great, the lowers are convexed much moreso than my 800 mirrors on the 1500, but I think I the 800 mirrors sit wider when extended which makes it easier to see around the trailer. When I have to back the trailer into the hangar with the camper loaded it's miserable, moreso due to the camper's proximity to the mirrors I think. Either way if I ever remember I'm going to get a house mirror to hang off my truck mirror for that one sole purpose.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Local Harley dealer had a cars and bikes cruise night last night, so I gave to pig a bath and headed out. Even with the diverse mix of stuff there, the truck stay got a little attention. If you happen to spot a 400 around here it’s usually a basket case.

I ordered Savana knobs a week or two ago, and those finally came in. Found them online for $4ea. At that price, it’s not even worth my time to try and find junkyard ones.

I need to grab a spare headlight switch from the junkyard before I attempt that one. Hopefully I can find a Tahoe HVAC with defrost for the eventual tow mirrors.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got off my ass and did an oil change today after work.

In anticipation of pulling the camper in summer heat, I used 10W-30 T4 Rotella and a Wix(Napa) 1794 filter. This little guy holds nearly 2qts. 7.5 got me to the middle of the stick. I figure an extra quart of oil, and twice as much filter media can hurt.

Last edited: