2000 C3500 truck dies when put in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeM5127

Reaction score
So here is what I have and an odd problem nobody has been able to figure out.
2000 C3500 5.7 4L80E 200K on the truck when I did the following:
New GM L31 crate engine
Fuel injector conversion
Fuel pump and filter
Radiator, water pump, heater core, and all hoses
AC compressor, condenser, evaporator, hoses, HVAC controls, all hoses and lines
Distributor (Crappy factory plastic style), cap (first two were defective), rotor, plugs and wires
Coil, IACV, TPS, crank position sensor
Along with this drive train work new springs front and rear, steering box, bushings, ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends, sway bars and links, u joints, wheels and tires (factory steel wheels and correct size tires), front rotors, pads, calipers and hardware, rear drums, wheel cylinders and shoes, and all brake lines ( hard and rubber).
After all this work I just could not get the timing set. I took it to a local shop and it turned out that the cap that came with the new distributor was shorted across two of the plug wire connections. It took the guy about an hour to figure out. It ran great after this but started weird, sort of like the timing was too advanced. I drove it trouble free for about 4k miles and then it started intermittently dyeing when put into park. Never while stopped at a light and doesn’t die when stopped until put into park. At first it was very intermittent and has gotten worse as time goes on and is now about 50/50. No check engine light is on, no codes. I’ve had it to two shops and neither can find a thing wrong with it, one of them had it for 2 months. It has even been on a chassis dyno at a transmission shop and they could find anything wrong with it but I don’t think it did it while they had it. I’ve talked to two of my local Chevy dealers but neither work on anything older than 2001. The problem has slowly gotten wore and it will now idle rough at stop lights, sometimes, and seems to lag when accelerating from 30mph idle.
Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Issue in the steering column maybe? A wire gets pinched when the lever goes into park?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

JoeM5127

Reaction score
I forgot to add that he shop that had it for 2 months put a new ignition switch and harness in but it didn't change anything.

JoeM5127

Reaction score
DuallyDave I replaced the original spider fuel injector assembly with STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FJ504 from RockAuto.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1002866&cc=1358502&jsn=453

Justin S, I really can't verify what the two repair shops did or didn't test. What is a good way to test for spark or injector pulse? I was wanting to find a way to graph the crank position signal too but couldn't come up with a scanner that would read that without spending a grand.

Thanks for the help.

JoeM5127

Reaction score
The problem seems to be getting worse, a good thing I guess. It was idling bad this morning so I knew it would die when I put it in park. Here is a video of it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way it dies when it goes into park it's got to be electrical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
55 is what the book calls for on static fuel pressure so I think ur good there put a gage on it running then put in park see if the pressure dies if not then I would bet on ignition side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk