1999 TAHOE 2wd 2dr drop questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hotwheelbill

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have put the 2" drop shackles on the rear and it helps, but I would like the front and rear 2" lower than this. This now and will continue to be my DD, so ride comfort is at the fore front. The truck now has 31.5/10.5 Michys on 15"x10" rims that look good, just alot of tire on a little rim. My plan would be to go with a 17" or maybe an 18" Torque Thrust wheel. I would think a 17" would ride a bit better. Drop leafs are out , as I have read how bad they ride. Flip kit would give me too much I think. The front spindles are a bit of $$$. Not sure if I can just cut the springs and still like it?
So, what are my options to lower front and rear? Thanks for you ideas and advice.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You named almost every option... your pick of cutting coils will ride the worst, will work, but not be the best.

drop coils and correct shocks for the front and hangers in the rear.

Hotwheelbill

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You named almost every option... your pick of cutting coils will ride the worst, will work, but not be the best.

drop coils and correct shocks for the front and hangers in the rear.
Thanks. Yea, I have done cut coils before and I'm not that broke anymore. :).
Hangers?? Same as shackles? I like the 2" drop in the rear now, but if I drop the front, I would want to drop the rear to keep it level as it is now.

One more idea, was to stay with my 15" rims, new tires (needed soon anyway) and have some OEM 4X4 flares painted to match.

Hotwheelbill

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Also thinking of going down to 255/70/15 tires if I keep these rims.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. Yea, I have done cut coils before and I'm not that broke anymore. :).
Hangers?? Same as shackles? I like the 2" drop in the rear now, but if I drop the front, I would want to drop the rear to keep it level as it is now.

One more idea, was to stay with my 15" rims, new tires (needed soon anyway) and have some OEM 4X4 flares painted to match.

Shackles at the rear of the leafs. Hangers at the front of 'em.

Hangers are towards the front of the truck on the leaf spring, that will be another 2" then some coils up front and drop shocks, will need some shock extenders for the rear for sure.
...I like them. Oh well, still working on a look.

I think flares would look great with the drop, I have seen it done and looks great.

I think you could get away with your wheel and tire setup now with no rubbing.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
For my '97 w/a 2/4 drop, I bought a 4" shorter shock. Standard issue drop shock.
My '98 @ 4/6 uses the same length shock, but the extender provided the extra 2" of length that 6" drop took away.