1999 Suburban rear brake line question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lost the rear brakes in my truck last week because of huge leak in the rear brake line. I had a nice size puddle right at the rear axle on the drivers side. I got underneth the truck and found something weird. It "appears" there are two brake lines that run to the rear of the truck. It "appears" that the line that runs to the rear distribution block is fine. But there is another line above that line that continues past the rear axle where the leak is coming from.

That is the way it "appears" anyway.

What's back there? What am I missing?

Thanks everyone.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried to follow that line an see where it goes? Got any pics of it

I did. However the line is inside the frame rail and the Suburban has the gas tank sandwiched in between the frame rails so there is very little clearance.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone else have any input on this? I'll be digging into this project on Sunday and would like to avoid any surprises.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know the only lines that go past the rear end are for the fuel, I could be wrong. I have seen once that someone replaced the rear brake lines and left the old ones still attached to the frame but they weren't connected to anything. If it wasn't raining I'd crawl under my 99 an take a photo to compare but it's been on an off all day. Sorry for no help

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i replaced the flex line on the rear axle distribution box with a braided ss one... only one line coming aft to that.

real common for our brake lines to rust out in back, glad you didnt have a crash

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah. You guys are right. There is only one brake line going to back. The brake lines and one of the fuel lines were touching and that's where the leak came from. While I'm replacing brake parts, I'm doing a nbs master cylinder and ABS delete. I'll post pics when I done.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do an ABS delete?

I have one that looks identical to the one in your pic, 1999. The ABS in it works fantastically. If it weren't for the ABS, I would have wrecked it last October. I had a dumbass merge into my lane in front of me, and then he panicked at the slow traffic ahead and did a freaking nose-stand right in front of me. I was towing my camper, and would certainly have locked up the brakes.

jjupiter100

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. I just replaced rear driver and passenger side lines on my 99 burb a couple weeks ago. Bent the lines myself. Fun learning process. I thought about replacing that line you were talking about, but decided not to mess with it right now.