1999 K2500 Front Diff Seal Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joebuzz

Reaction score
Greetings. I replaced a front driver side differential/axle seal about 6 months ago and it started leaking in 2. I got it from Napa, as shown in their book, Part #NOS 16123. I am obviously not happy as I have to replace it again. Napa doesn't show the inner dimension. Anybody replaced theirs with one that's dependable and have a part number to share? I see the rock auto and GM part numbers are kinda all over the place. My sub is 1999, K2500, 8700 gvw, J vin, 7.4L, pass everything but a gas station. thanx!

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the problem is a faulty seal?

1. Sure that's the correct seal? www.napaonline.com shows that seal for a '97-up K2500 Suburban, but they don't mention 6-lug or 8-lug wheels. The 8-lug may have a heavier-duty front differential assembly.

2. Worn or misadjusted differential bearings, or a worn axle flange shaft could cause a good seal to get damaged in use.

Joebuzz

Reaction score
Are you sure the problem is a faulty seal?

1. Sure that's the correct seal? www.napaonline.com shows that seal for a '97-up K2500 Suburban, but they don't mention 6-lug or 8-lug wheels. The 8-lug may have a heavier-duty front differential assembly.

2. Worn or misadjusted differential bearings, or a worn axle flange shaft could cause a good seal to get damaged in use.
Greetings. Thanks for the reply. I have a 8700# GVW. I used the Napa Part #NOS 16123. I see the dimensions are identical to the National Seal #710497 for the bore, .003 difference on the OD with the Napa actually larger. However, I believe I'll be replacing mine with the National Seal this time as the Napa leaked. I was married twice too. Not the same broad.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Grease up the bore before you install it and use a thin sealer on the sealing surface like " hi tack ". Do not use rtv.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did my driver's side a few times, and used a genuine GM seal the last time. My issue was actually a bad o ring seal on the vent. Make sure your vent tube isn't plugged either as that will cause leaks.