1997 K2500 5 Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Varvis

Reaction score
I love an old 5 speed truck. Welcome to the club. If it were mine I would look into stripping the body Moulding off for a cleaner look, but that’s definitely a warm weather event.

I have the diy bedliner stuff from herculiner, and everything that is exposed and prone to rot is covered (rockers, cab corners, under cab, frame). Look at my build to see what I am talking about. I’m also not a fan of the stick on chrome accents, but that might be just me.

The only downside I know about the NV4500 is the 5th gear nut likes to back off, and third gear likes to grind if you shift too fast. It is definitely a truck transmission and requires a little bit slower shifts to make it happy, I love mine, and it was the best upgrade I did.

Yeah, 3rd gear is already a bit finnicky if you try and shift too fast into it, but I'm not out hotrodding it so it barely notice it.

Chrome accents and body molding I'm just too afraid will take paint with them as they come off, so I probably won't bother. Also, that chrome cladding can be an absolute nightmare to remove.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Chrome accents and body molding I'm just too afraid will take paint with them as they come off, so I probably won't bother. Also, that chrome cladding can be an absolute nightmare to remove.

I believe LMC truck has or maybe had some little buffer pad looking thing you place on the end of a drill to remove the glue stuff. I don’t recall the name of it, but I bet if you did a search for it, you might find what I’m trying to describe.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I would definitely remove the chrome trim, it's nothing but a rust magnet. Leave the impact strip though, it helps with the flow of the truck IMO.

But that's just me, every truck I've ever come in contact with that's had that chrome **** on the rockers is just rotted out underneath.

PYOs will look damn good on there, are you just going to swap tires over from the steelies or are you getting new ones?

Varvis

Reaction score
Prob just swap tires. They have good enough tread for the summer and the wheels are the same size. Buddy who was supposed to sell me the PY0s flaked on me so I'm keeping an eye out for another set

Doesn't look like anything is rusted underneath the chrome cladding but who knows. Door bottoms are totally clean on the inside.

Mainly I'm just waiting till it's summertime when I can really give it a nice power polish and have it looking like new. I've seriously fallen in love with the color. Wasn't really certain on it when I got it but it's gorgeous when clean.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck. Welcome to the forums.

I have one question does anyone have a picture of the pyos? I have no idea what they look like. Thanks