1997 K2500 5 Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Varvis

Reaction score
Picked this truck up, thought I'd share quick. All stock, completely rust free (besides surface rust on the undercarriage), but has a fair amount of random dings. Paint is in fantastic shape, only maybe a handful of chips on the whole truck, clearcoat is good. Only 125,000 miles. No idea what I plan to do with it, but thought it was kind of cool and the price wasn't bad. Never owned a manual truck before aside from a 1993 W250 5 speed diesel.

I'll try and get more pics after I wash it.

You must be registered for see images

Only issue with it so far that I can tell is someone punched in the drivers side door lock, which is annoying since I didn't get a fob with it.

Oh, and it reminds me a ton of my 2006 Chevrolet Duramax I sold to my grandfather a couple months ago. Green extended cab short bed 2500's seem to be a favorite of mine.

Last edited:

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Definitely looking forward to seeing more on this truck; your GMT800 looked pretty damn clean too!
What's the plans for this rig?

Varvis

Reaction score
No idea. For sure take off those bed rails, first of all. Probably get some PY0s or 07-10 HD wheels. Ideally would love to rip all that chrome off but after 21 years it'll probably take the paint with it.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice rig! Gotta love an old 5 speed. I think a set of PY0’s would look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possibly, crawl under and take a look. I bought a 92 K2500 with a 350/NV4500 for a donor vehicle, and I had a 95 K1500 with a 350/NV4500 so they weren’t just behind the big engines. If it has big 6 bolt PTO covers on each side, it’s an NV4500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varvis

Reaction score
Got a line on a set of 4 PY0s for $80. They're rough but they'll do for now. Took off the bed rails off also and it already looks 10x better.

Varvis

Reaction score
Gave 'er the old $3 coin wash quickly today.

PY0's will definitely set this thing off. No idea what to do with it after that, I wish this could become a "build" but honestly I'm pretty much happy with it the way it is. Probably put a toolbox on after the PY0s and that's it.

As well, maybe I'll see if I can get my dad's PDR guy to swing by sometime. Guy is an absolute magician at it. Couple years back someone smashed two big dents into the door of a Yukon I had. In 30 minutes, this is what he did:

Only charged me $50 to do it. This truck doesn't have any major dents like that, but about 20 little dings all over that maybe he'll be able to get out.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I love an old 5 speed truck. Welcome to the club. If it were mine I would look into stripping the body Moulding off for a cleaner look, but that’s definitely a warm weather event.

I have the diy bedliner stuff from herculiner, and everything that is exposed and prone to rot is covered (rockers, cab corners, under cab, frame). Look at my build to see what I am talking about. I’m also not a fan of the stick on chrome accents, but that might be just me.

The only downside I know about the NV4500 is the 5th gear nut likes to back off, and third gear likes to grind if you shift too fast. It is definitely a truck transmission and requires a little bit slower shifts to make it happy, I love mine, and it was the best upgrade I did.