1997 Chevy C2500 ECLB Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Okay, just like with my crew cab, i bought this truck WAY before i joined this forum. However i don't really have a thread where i can show it off.. So here she is.

I bought it as my first truck from a Ford Dealership in Central IL. It's a 1997 Chevy C2500 Extended Cab Long Bed 2WD. Vortec 454, 4L80E. 143k miles when i bought it. Unfortunately this truck has had a rough life. I got a huge deal on it because someone at the dealership backed into it and cracked the grill. So i got $500 off the original price. Other than that I've had it parked, someone did a hit and run on it; it was a farm truck in it's past life; i've hit a deer, and i've had to do a little rust work on it. Don't let the fender flares fool you, I've done the rust repair correctly the flares are pure rust prevention.

Here it is when i picked it up.

You must be registered for see images attach

First thing's first the running boards and cracked bug guard had to go. Then a little paint on the silver wheels.

It got right to work, as all of my rigs do.

Also as i said initially, the grill was cracked when i bought it. At the time i was driving 60 miles per day so i went the cheap route with the grill. First black, then red. The tailgate was also painted to match, because the silver was flaking off.

The bumper also got replaced because the chrome didn't match, and it was bent from when i bought it. I like the black smooth bumpers better anyway.

a few months later i decided to paint the grill red, not sure why, just thought it would look like the GMC's with the color matched grilles. The truck also got LED cab lights, LED tail lights, a tool box, LED tool box lights, and the LED tailgate strip.

Then i was parked at a restaurant and came out to discover this! I was so angry, however i bought a fender from a parted out truck, and then had it painted to match.

In the spring time, i tried the bumper red. I didn't like it so i painted the bumper black again, and ordered a chrome grill and decided to paint the rims silver as well for a "Stock" Look. In retrospect i think it looks pretty good colormatched, just needed different rims..

You must be registered for see images

Just when i thought i had done everything to the truck that i wanted, on the way home from work at 10pm a deer jumped out of a creek and hit the front, spinning around and tagging the Passenger Side. I only have liability insurance so this was a out of pocket expense.

After spending all of the money to fix the cab, i just threw the black grill back on, and i painted the rockers black because the deer had created a few holes from bending the metal which had rust inside of them. I fixed the rust temporarily and painted the rockers flat black. (This summer i will be fixing the rust good)

I also gave the rims a coat of paint to match.

I later discovered a dent on the hood from who knows where. This truck is a magnet for dents i swear, so i bought a bug guard. later my girlfriend slipped on ice and broke it as well...

I also added these to prevent the whole deer thing from happening again.

Since the lights were chrome, and since i was sick of the all black look i came across a chrome grill and slapped it on there. I just think the all black looks kind of trashy. Red and chrome is such a better combo.

Also added Halo's and projector headlights. The projector headlights are great, especially with the KC's but for anyone thinking of buying Halo's, Dont. The outside halos burn't out in less than 2 months. Still looks sweet at night IMO.

The most recent addition is the RPO wheels. I kept the OE style center caps because 1. i think they look better, and 2. because the rims didn't have any. I got a steal on the rims, $160!

This thing looks so good at night with all the lights, love going down the interstate and flashing chicken lights with the semi's. :D

And here is today.

Attachments

• IMG_74212_zps080ed691.jpg
    IMG_74212_zps080ed691.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20120414-00394_zps6b5e48ed.jpg
    IMG-20120414-00394_zps6b5e48ed.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20120131-00921_zps78e6f657.jpg
    IMG-20120131-00921_zps78e6f657.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20120314-00195_zpsad6e3c4f.jpg
    IMG-20120314-00195_zpsad6e3c4f.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20120314-00196_zpsebffb443.jpg
    IMG-20120314-00196_zpsebffb443.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20120405-00324_zps22a39bce.jpg
    IMG-20120405-00324_zps22a39bce.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20120501-00570_zps56bbfbfa.jpg
    IMG-20120501-00570_zps56bbfbfa.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
looking good man I think it looks the best it has right now love the nbs rims and tows, how do you like the 454?

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
i like it, the gas mileage is awful but its a strong motor. Tows really nice, better than the 6.5.

a 350 is more suitable for daily driving tho the most i've ever got was 13mpg highway

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
i like it, the gas mileage is awful but its a strong motor. Tows really nice, better than the 6.5.

a 350 is more suitable for daily driving tho the most i've ever got was 13mpg highway

yah im not worried about MPG, i was jw how you liked the power haha

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
It's nice to have it, mine has 190k miles on it now so its not quite as strong as it was, uses a little oil about a quart every 3000 miles.. but I'm sure all of ours do.

and i'll say, btw thats a good lookin' sticker you've got there across the windshield :D

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
It's nice to have it, mine has 190k miles on it now so its not quite as strong as it was, uses a little oil about a quart every 3000 miles.. but I'm sure all of ours do.

and i'll say, btw thats a good lookin' sticker you've got there across the windshield :D

same to you haha sold that one though