1996 GMC Suburban "Kaye"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love this Suburban! Great progress. I was wondering, I have stock 16"s on my 1996 1500 Suburban, would I be able to mount 18/20"s from like a 2016-2018 Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Suburban?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying.... But I'm broke. And Elise is my only modus transporti currently. And she needs massive amounts of repairs all at one time. So it's hard to save for another daily rig. Or project. o_O

I feel your pain lol. Went like that for a long time til my accident last year. Then I was forced to get another vehicle.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok one further and I'll stop hijacking the post, stock is 245/75, how big can i go on stock wheels (width and sidewall) like what size without needing any spacers? I didn't see a Tire/Wheels forum but I guess I could look harder ...
I've had a few 18's and a set of 20's off of newer trucks on my 98 Z71 they fit right on(currently running 18' Z71 trailboss rims), and I believe the largest you can go on stock rims is 285/75, might require a slight t-bar crank.

Last edited:

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Skeletal I found the PERFECT one, but unfortunately it is well outside my price range currently. And it's got super low miles too.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/brenham-1999-chevy-suburban/7275301356.html

That's a really clean burb, I agree with 618 the guy sure is proud of it lol.

I literally can't express how much this build has made me want a lowered 2wd

:peace::peace:

That's awesome man :):waytogo:

Love this Suburban! Great progress.

Thank you :)

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't done much to it, dyed the passenger area carpet black and got some new floor mats. Carpet looks alright, better than being 5 different shades of tan like it was. New carpet is on the list. Swapped the taillights out for black ones, think they go better till the bumper is removed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Partially fixed my A/C problem, the relay was unplugged for some reason. Works a lot better now but the compressor doesn't cycle enough to keep the air constantly cold like in the truck. Hooked gauges up to it and the pressures were fine, then I swapped the clutch cycle switch & high side switch from the truck, that didn't help either. I have cooler air than before so I'll take it.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't done much to it, dyed the passenger area carpet black and got some new floor mats. Carpet looks alright, better than being 5 different shades of tan like it was. New carpet is on the list. Swapped the taillights out for black ones, think they go better till the bumper is removed.

Partially fixed my A/C problem, the relay was unplugged for some reason. Works a lot better now but the compressor doesn't cycle enough to keep the air constantly cold like in the truck. Hooked gauges up to it and the pressures were fine, then I swapped the clutch cycle switch & high side switch from the truck, that didn't help either. I have cooler air than before so I'll take it.
Were you driving? I've noticed (and had professional confirmation) that a/c systems don't blow as cold at a standstill/idling as they do running down the road. Just a thought.